two

THE TWO SIBLINGS were sat in the DCS office building

THE TWO SIBLINGS were sat in the DCS office building. The chairs were stiff and very uncomfortable and the building as a whole gave off the same feeling. Jo didn't like it one bit.

"So, it's come to my attention that you two are unemancipated minors living on your own," Cheryl, their social worker, said. She sat across from them on the other side of her desk as the twins looked each other.

"No," they said in unison.

"No," John B repeated. "No, no, no."

"And just in case it didn't click, no," Jo added with a fake, sarcastic smile.

Cheryl sighed. She took her glasses off and laid them on her desk. "I need honesty to help you. That's what we all want, right?"

"Yeah," John B replied. "I am being honest."

"Okay, then when was the last time you spoke to your uncle?" Cheryl questioned.

Jo sighed heavily as John B discreetly inched his foot over to hers and placed the toe of his shoe ever so slightly over her own. It was a stupid sign he'd made up years ago that was a way to silently tell her not to say anything and let him do all the talking.

"Uh, thirty four minutes ago," John B said, glancing dramatically at his watch.

"When was the last time you saw him?"

"Two hours and forty three minutes ago," he shrugged.

Cheryl glanced at Jo skeptically, who had a bored look plastered on her face. "We're gonna come out and talk to your uncle tomorrow. If he's not there, we're moving forward with foster care."

Jo scoffed lightly and glanced up at her brother. They hadn't seen their uncle in months, so they were officially screwed. Maybe they could run away to Mexico.

"I want to assure you both that we're gonna find you a safe and loving home," Cheryl continued.

"We have a safe and loving home," Jo deadpanned. "It's called the chateau, where we have each other and our dad's memories. It's also the place he'll know to find us when he comes back."

Cheryl sighed, but didn't say anything further. Once she allowed them to leave they bolted out of the building and hurried back home. The rest of the Pogues were gathered on the beach, talking about god-knows-what.

"Never fear, boys and gal, the Pogue Queen is here!" She shouted as she pranced through the sand.

"Malady!" JJ exclaimed.

He stood up and bowed before the brunette, extending his hand for her to take so he could lead her to the small fire they'd set up minutes before.

"How was Mrs. Dr. Frankenstein?" He asked teasingly.

"Horrible," Jo scoffed. "And as sickeningly hopeful as ever."

"I'd offer you guys to stay at my place, but you know how my parents feel about the Pogues," Kie said apologetically.