sixteen

THE STEADY BEEP of the hospital machines echoed in Jo's ears

THE STEADY BEEP of the hospital machines echoed in Jo's ears. John B had been rushed to St. Olives late last night and had remained unconscious thus far. Jo had gone with him as had Sarah, per her incessant and hysterical pleading. Neither girl had left John B's side since he was admitted, though Jo sat further back in her brother's room. As much as she hated that Sarah and John B seemed to be together, she had to respect it. But that didn't mean she wasn't going to be there for her brother when he woke up. There was also the discussion of their avoiding DCS, and she didn't want to get separated from him.

John B's fingers twitched slightly as he began to come to. He drew in a deep breath and pried his eyes open, attracting all the attention in the room.

"Hey," Sarah whispered.

Jo stood up from her chair quickly and lingered behind the blonde girl as John B looked around. "Where am I?"

"St. Olives," Sarah replied. "You fell from the Hawk's Nest. You have a concussion and a broken wrist."

John B lifted his head and inspected the black cast on his arm. "Whoa."

"Pretty cool," Sarah said with a small smile.

Jo scoffed.

"I need to get out of here," John B said as he tried to sit up. "DCS is gonna find us —"

"Hang on there, kid," Ward said as he entered the hospital room. "Hang on."

Jo inhaled sharply as Ward flickered his eyes between the three and the brunette glanced nervously at her brother.

"Sarah told me everything," Ward explained. "About your little adventure, about you running from DCS, about how you were protecting her in the tower."

Jo wrapped her arms around herself as Ward stepped closer to John B's bed. She wasn't sure how she felt about him, or Sarah. She still didn't trust any of the kooks.

"John, I believe I owe you an apology," Ward continued. "You were honest with me about a small indiscretion and I went ahead and fired you anyway. Unfortunately from time to time I have a bit of a... short fuse. Ask her."

He nodded to Sarah and the blonde chuckled. "It's true."

"Anyway, I'd like to make up for it if you'll let me," Ward said. "I spoke with sheriff Peterkin and I've offered to be your legal guardian, if you'll have me."

Jo's eyes widened as she gaped at Ward. Why would he do that? She quickly flicked her eyes to John B and he tried to sit up again in protest.

"Not without Jo," he objected. "Her too."

"Of course," Ward smiled. "I talked it over with her about taking in both of you."

"Why would you do that?" Jo asked skeptically.