nineteen

JO, JOHN B, AND SARAH walked side by side as they approached Tannyhill

JO, JOHN B, AND SARAH walked side by side as they approached Tannyhill. They had been out until all hours of the morning and had changed their clothes before returning once the sun was up, but Ward didn't know they'd been gone all night. Jo listened intently as John B recalled how he found the gold and where it was located in the well.

"We're gonna melt the bricks so they're not traceable. This afternoon we'll take it to the pawnshop, and after that we'll pay for JJ's restitution."

"How many bars?" Sarah asked.

"I don't know," John B replied. "It was all muddy."

"Come on, you have to have an idea," Jo prodded. "It was all there?"

John B nodded jovially. "Yeah. All of it. It could be six hundred, it could be a thousand."

He stretched his arms out on either side of him as the girls laughed.

"It was muddy, but it was everywhere. Stacks of it. Four hundred million dollars."

Jo shook her head in awe. "I can't believe we found it."

"That's crazy," Sarah agreed.

"Now we just have to get it out of there," the boy said as they continued walking.

"How do we do that?" Jo queried.

"Well, Pope has a pulley system or something mapped out," John B explained.

The three teenagers stepped onto the covered walkway outside of the house when Ward stopped them. "Hey. What are you three plotting?"

Jo glanced at her brother while Sarah quickly came up with a lie.

"Uh, the usual stuff," John B stammered.

"World domination," Sarah shrugged.

"That's my girl, always aiming high," Ward chuckled proudly. "It's gonna have to wait a day though, cause I'm taking these kids fishing tomorrow morning."

Jo knitted her eyebrows together in confusion as she and John B shared a perplexed glance. Sarah's eyes widened and she shook her head.

"They can't tomorrow," she objected. "We have plans."

"Oh, really, what plans are those?" Ward chuckled. "Sit by the pool all day?"

"No," Sarah murmured.

"Look, that boat needs a first and second mate," Ward looked between John B and Jo, "and you two need to start earning your keep around here."

Jo frowned at Ward's words. She hated owing people things. That was why she had worried about living here; she didn't want Ward to hold her accountable for things just because he took her in out of the goodness of his heart.

"Dad," Sarah protested.

"Sweetie, I'm kidding," Ward assured her. "They're new to the family, I just want to take them fishing. Alright?"