bonus chapter

A/N - HI!!! I just love outer banks and especially JJ and Jo so much so I thought I'd write my take on how Jo, John B, and JJ met when they were in third grade. I'd love to have some flashbacks of the Pogues as kids in season 2! How cute would that be?!

__________

IT WAS A warm spring day in the Outer Banks

IT WAS A warm spring day in the Outer Banks. School was winding down and the year of pointless learning was almost over, much to Jo's relief. She absolutely detested school, she would much rather be out on the water helping her father fish and make a living. The brunette girl sighed as she walked down the hallway towards the cafeteria. Her teacher always made them walk in straight lines behind her, but Jo always strayed out of place. Many of her teachers criticized her inability to follow directions, but her father just said it made her a strong woman who wouldn't take any shit from any man.

Jo tossed her paper bag carelessly on the table and let her brown eyes wander the room. She always sat with her brother during lunch and played with him during recess. Jo never got along with any of the girls in her class and the boys wouldn't let her play with them, so she always sought out her brother instead. Once her eyes fixated on the boy she called her brother, a small smile formed on her face and she skipped over to him.

"Hi," she chirped.

Jo hadn't yet noticed the little blonde boy sitting beside her brother. His eyes widened as the girl sat down across from them and his mouth fell agape.

"You can't sit here!" He protested. "This is a boys only table."

Jo rolled her eyes, completely unfazed by her brother's apparent friend. "Does it look like I care?" She sassed back.

The blonde boy furrowed his eyebrows and scrunched his face up at her. No girl had ever had the courage to talk to him like that, and right away he noticed she was different. She wasn't like the other girls. She wore her hair in a messy ponytail to keep it out of her face and had on dirty jean shorts and a plaid shirt.

"This is my sister Jo," John B introduced. "Jo, this is my new friend JJ."

"Sup," Jo shrugged.

She held her hand out towards JJ and he stared at her in confusion for a moment before slowly grabbing her hand. Jo squeezed tightly and JJ was surprised by how firm her grip was.

"He playing ball with us later?" Jo queried as she glanced at her brother.

John B nodded. "Yup. We're gonna beat your sorry butt."

Jo laughed confidently and shook her head. "In your dreams."

"You're playing?" JJ asked incredulously.

Jo raised her eyebrows questioningly. "Duh," she stated. "I'm the best ball player there is."

"Besides me," John B huffed.