twenty eight

THE SKY GREW increasingly dark the further the boat sailed

THE SKY GREW increasingly dark the further the boat sailed. The storm was getting closer and closer to the outer banks and Jo worried that they might have to try and go directly through it. She was nestled into JJ's side and he had his arms wrapped tightly around the brunette as the boat cut through the waves. She was beginning to grow tired as her adrenaline was wearing off after the intense and exhausting day she'd had, but she refused to sleep. Jo couldn't relax yet, even though they'd made it off the island. She was too scared that the police would still catch them, so until they were far, far away, she would keep her eyes open.

The storm had thankfully cut the power for most of the island and all the police had were backup generators by the lighthouse. Not even the lighthouse was working, though, so no one would be able to see the boat passing by.

"It's like the entire sheriff's department," Sarah said in shock. "Shit."

Jo followed the girl's gaze to the area where a plethora of emergency lights flashed on and off. Silhouettes of law enforcers could be seen running around frantically, undoubtedly trying their very hardest to find the escaped teenagers.

"Do you think the police caught up with Pope and Kie?" Jo asked quietly.

"I dunno," John B answered quietly.

Jo sighed. She watched the island carefully, full of police officers. "I hope they're okay."

"They will be," John B said comfortingly. "They know how to handle themselves."

"We'll go dark and let the tide pull us out," John B continued. 

He stared uneasily at the island that was crawling with cops and the rest of the group nodded. Jo understood his reluctance regarding the police officers. They hadn't even looked into any other possibilities, just believed what Ward told them as if it were gospel. She and John B had made it so far already, they couldn't risk getting caught now.

"Good call," Jo whispered.

John B glanced around, manning the boat and holding tightly to Sarah as they slowly passed the island by. Jo watched in anticipation as one of the agents scanned the coast and tried to spot their boat. She held her breath, idly wondering where JJ was and if he was okay. Thunder rumbled behind them and lightning danced across the sky. Finally the agent gave up his efforts and instructed his colleagues to search the other side of the point. Jo let out a small breath and smiled in relief.

"Are we clear?" Jo whispered.

"We're clear," John B breathed.

"Hey, we're gonna make it," Sarah said with a grin.

"Yeah," John B chuckled lightly in relief.

"We just gotta go north through the swamp and follow the North Star," Jo added.

"What everything spins around," Sarah chimed in.

She smiled and tilted her head upward to stare at the sky. It was speckled with stars as the clouds blew in toward the island. Jo smiled as she glanced up and spotted the biggest and brightest star. Her father had taught her about constellations when she was very young, so that they could find their way back if they ever got lost. Her smile grew slightly at the memory.