Chapter 4

Ewan had obviously paddled before and the morning seemed to pass in no time at all. We chatted a little as I demonstrated some strokes and help him improve his technique.

We were starting to approach the mill, and my mind was beginning to wonder why he would put such a strange request on his lesson.

Paddling along trees over hanging on both sides the river narrowed. Indicating to Ewan to keep the clear path on the right I lead the way. As the river starts to open back up the trees turn to reeds and the banks become grassy. Up ahead I see the Mill, as I turn to check on Ewan I find him closer to my boat than I expected.

Smiling at me "Can we get off there" he points to a small fishing swim close by.

"Sure, not a problem let me go first and then I can help you." But being as competitive as he is, he was already paddling at full speed towards to fishing swim. Damn why did he have to be so competitive if anything happens to him my boss is going to kill me. I head after him as fast as I can.

"What took you so long" he smirks sitting on the swim with his boat pulled up on the grass behind him.

"Someone got a head start" I exclaim, rolling my eyes with disapproval.

He helps me off the water and to lift my boat onto the grass. As we start to walk up the bank I notice at the top there is a picnic blanket laid out along with a large picnic hamper.

"Looks like we are disturbing someone lunch." I point out.

"I don't think so" he replied

I frown at him, unsure what he meant. I go to walk toward the mill. When he grabs my wrist. I flinch and pull away.

"Get off me"

"I am sorry I didn't mean to hurt you" he looks as me with a worried look in his eyes.

"Why did you grab me?"

"We are not disturbing anyone's lunch; this lunch is for us"

"What do you mean? This can't be for us" I look around to try and work out who else it could be for because it can't possibly be for us.

"It is, I organised it to be hear for when we arrive" he says looking at me with a big grin on his face.

"What?"

"This lunch is for us, that's why I requested we stop here. It's one of my favorite places. Am I not allowed to treat the instructor who has spent the past few days teaching me knew skills?"

"Well we are not meant to accept gifts from customers" I remark, as this job means everything to me right now.

"This isn't a gift, it's just lunch, come sit." Taking a seat on the rug Ewan taps the empty spaces next to him.

Reluctantly I oblige removing my wet spray deck before sitting next to him. The air is full of tension around us, not wanting the awkwardness to continue I see Ewan lean over and open the hamper pulling out an array of goodies and laying them on the blanket in front of us.

Ewan passes me a small ceramic plate before taking one himself and placing items onto it.

"You have to try one of these" he picks up what looks like a mini scotch egg and places it on my plate. I watch for a few minutes as it picks items up placing them on our plates before he starts to eat.

I look down to see he has placed, pork pies, cheese, crackers, and grapes on mine.

"Eat you must be starved after all the paddling we have done this morning." I look at him then back at the plate. Why has he bought us this fancy lunch out here in the middle of know where. How did he even get it here? This must be ever girls dream to have a picnic on the side of a river on a beautiful day, yet I'm sat here feeling awkward.