Chapter 8

Wondering what on earth I am going to do until lunch time, I decide to head back upstairs and freshen up. In the guest bathroom to my surprise is everything anyone could ever need. I grab a tooth brush out the packet and brush my teeth before turning to my hair which I hadn't notice was a complete state after last night.

Heading back down to the Kitchen I realise I still don't have my phone, why couldn't he had just given it to me.

"Can I get you anything" I hear Betty asking me.

"No, I'm fine" I give her a half smile. "Do you know where Ewan went?" I question her.

"He will be working in his study, but he hates to be disturbed." Great just what I wanted to hear.

"Oh, he has my phone and I would really like it back."

"Well I think you can live without it for now. I'm sure he will give it back later." She is right I do not really need it right now. Kate will be working and who else am I going to call. I look towards the large window overlooking the sea wondering if I can go outside.

"Would you like to head down to the beach?" I hear Betty say from behind me. How did she know I was thinking that?

"Yes, it looks stunning out there."

She walks across the lounge and I follow her. In the far corner is a large wooden door which almost looks out of place. She pushes it open and we head through. On the left there is a Japanese style inside outside shower area, I wonder why there is a shower area here. Betty pushes open a glass door to the right and we step out into the warmth of the sun. The large decking area seems to wrap its way around the house, and we step forward.

There is small wooden modern looking building to the left and around to the right there is a long pool running the length of the front of the house. Ahead some steps lead down to the sand dunes and beyond that the beach and the sea.

"I will be leaving you now, if you need anything I will be in the kitchen." Before she turns and leaves.

I wonder to myself about going in the pool as its so warm but instead, I decide I will take a walk along the beach. Heading down the steps and through the narrow path onto the beach I start to feel more relaxed. The coast is my safe haven and if I get dragged away too long I feel its pull. The sand feels warm between my toes as I walk towards the waters edge. Luckily, the tide is in so its not long before I am up to my ankles in the cold water.

The house is positions in the middle of a small cove, with a sandy beach flanked at each end with a rocky outcrop. Walking in the water along the beach there is know one to be seen. I begin to wonder if this is a private beach or if anyone could visit here. The main beach back at the center is always packed with people by this time.

I turn back when I get to the rocks, deciding barefoot rock climbing probably isn't best by myself knowing what I am like.

Just as I am thinking that I stumble falling onto my knees in the cold water. I quickly pick myself up before I find myself bursting out laughing. If anyone saw me, I would have been so embarrassed I think to myself. Luckily, the shorts are short and only the very bottoms got damp. Deciding I would be better off close to the house I head back up the beach and through the sand dunes and towards the house.

I take a seat at one of the sun loungers on the decking overlooking the beach.

"Can I get you a drink or maybe a snack." I almost fall off the sun lounger as Betty speaks.

"Did you have to do that." I say angrily.

"Sorry sweetheart I did not mean to scary you."

Feeling thirsty I decide to ask for some water and follow Betty back to the kitchen. Just as we are crossing the living room a tall thin lady with brown hair swaggers out from the corner by the stairs. Her eyes dart towards me and a big smile slides across her face. She stops at the breakfast bar and I can feel her staring at me, but I can't bring myself to look at her face.