𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟺𝟷: 𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚢 𝙿𝚕𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙻𝚊𝚋 𝚃𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐

I hold the menu in my hands, looking down at each section of my brunch choices—salad, fried chicken, turkey club. This outdoor cafe has become Nat and I's new favorite spot to chat without all the boys around. They're so jealous of our little girls club—Tony questions the topic of our conversations every single time we come back. Anyone who knows Tony knows the man can't stand being out of the loop. Of course we never tell him—even if all we talked about was what fighting techniques Nat plans on teaching me soon.

"Please tell me you aren't getting something small and cheap. I can tell by the look on your face that you're going back and forth. Just get whatever you want. It's my turn to pay." Nat says as she puts her menu down. She rolls her eyes at me and grabs her glass of water, taking a sip.

"Oh hush, Nat. Don't act like you don't do the same damn thing every time it's my turn to pay." I shake my head, chuckling under my breath.

The cool breeze blows the hair out of my face and gives some relief to my hot skin

The cool breeze blows the hair out of my face and gives some relief to my hot skin. It's extra toasty today—a thin layer of sweat rests on my forehead. I grab a napkin in front of me and dab at the sweaty skin above my eyes. Nat smirks, shrugging as she moves her own hair out of her eyes—the breeze continues to blow softly.

The waiter comes to our table, placing our Mamosa's in between us. "Here you go ladies."  He says before rushing off to another table.

"Thank God." I declare, immediately pulling my glass to my lips.

"Thank God is right—we're gonna need a lot more of this in order to satisfy the enormous expectations Tony will have for this birthday party we're planning for him." Nat raises her brows, taking a decently long sip of her Mamosa.

"Enormous expectations? He doesn't even know we're planning him a party." I furrow my brows.

"He knows." Nat presses her lips together, her facial expression suggesting defeat.

"You told him?" 

"No—he expects it. He knows someone is doing it. He has expectations. Trust me." She insists.

I shake my head, laughing lightly. "He's such a jackass."

Nat nods. "The biggest jackass I know."

The waiter comes back after a moment and takes our order. I decide to go with a club sandwich, fries to pair with it. Nat orders broccoli cheddar soup, with a flatbread sandwich.

"So—tell me about you and Bruce. Are things okay?" She raises her glass to her lips.

I sigh.

"Uh oh." She raises a brow, her eyes widening a bit.

"No—nothing bad, I just...I just worry about him. Especially lately. I still feel pretty guilty about what happened with Grant—when we went behind Bruce's back. I can sense a little bit of distrust, now." I explain.