Chapter 1

Miyu sighed as she looked out the car window, tuning out her parents chatting in the front of the car. She started spacing out, watching trees pass by in a blur of green and brown as her father drove her and her mother out of their hometown. Her turquoise eyes that looked particularly dull that evening glanced at the digital clock in the car that spelled out 13:48:02 before returning her gaze to the window. It had only been twenty minutes since they left the place she called home. She wanted to grab the wheel and turn the car around to drive back. Back to her house where she sewed her first skirt. To the town with her favorite boba shop, and the nice old lady who fed the ducks by the lake she sketched at. To the school where she met her best friend.

     She missed everybody and everything already. A sting of pain ran through Miyu's chest and it felt like a bit of her soul deflated as a new thought popped into her mind. Her parents will want her to make some new friends. Miyu slumped back into her seat. She hated making friends. It was nerve wracking and she'd rather be sketching a new outfit, or sewing one while listening to some drama show. Even after making friends, she knew the anxiety would always hang over her like a thick, heavy blanket.

  Her thoughts were interrupted as the car took a turn and a few moving boxes pressed her against the car door. She realized this ride would be long, mind-numbing, and extremely uncomfortable. She slowly tugged her skirt out from under the box, fearing it might tear. After checking to ensure the fabric didn't stretch or tear, Miyu pushed the boxes away to give her more room in the already cramped car and looked at the PET in her hand. She ran her thumb over the Navi mark, which was a simple silhouette of a butterfly, before opening the PET and turning it on.

  Miyu's female Navi, Kaori, stood behind the screen with a smile on her face. She had medium length, green-blue wavy hair, and light cocoa eyes that were wide open in excitement.

     "How are you feeling about your move?" She asked in an upbeat tone. Miyu couldn't help but smile slightly, though she didn't feel like it.

     "I miss everyone already," Miyu replied. "Though, I suppose I can still contact them through the PET..." Her Navi nodded in agreement as Miyu stared out the car window again. Kaori thought for a moment to bring up a topic that might cheer her Operator up.

     "Well, I'm sure there's plenty of new clothes shops around there," Kaori started, successfully drawing Miyu's attention back. "We could explore those, if you'd like." She waited for Miyu's response for a few seconds, and was answered with a simple "maybe" before her Operator looked out the window again. Kaori's smile faded and her shoulders slumped down. She hated seeing Miyu sad, and she understood that the move would be hard on her. Still, Kaori thought, I can't give up quite yet.

     A smile slowly grew on Kaori's face. This would always cheer Miyu up.

     "We could find a nice place for boba."

     Miyu turned her attention back to the PET with a small smile, and Kaori's eyes lit up again.

     "I also found a new show you might enjoy," she added. "A romcom, with a character that seems like your type." Miyu chuckled and sighed in defeat.

     "It's hard to stay sad around you, Kaori," she paused to push the boxes back as the car took another turn. "Could you show me this show you're talking about?"

     "This is our house?!" Miyu asked, excited as she surveyed the building. It was a nice house, bigger than her old house was and had a small, well-kept yard in front of it. She gawked at the building as her parents opened the car doors and trunk to bring the boxes in. Her father grunted as he lifted a heavy box out of the car.