Chapter 8

Idina's POV

The world is falling on me. I thought I could take the weight of this situation, but this is just too much. Regina could never wake up because of me. I just can't handle this. It's like... I killed her.
"Idina?" says quietly Molly.
I don't even look at her. How could I, after being the reason Regina could die?
"The doctor said you can go inside now"
I take a deep breath.
"How can I go there knowing... All of this?" I say, crying.
Molly sits next to me.
"It's not your fault, okay? And there's even a chance she could make it. It's not too late yet. She needs you, Idina. She needs you by her side. She needs to hear your voice. She needs to know you're fine."
Well, she's right. Regina doesn't even know I'm okay, physically obviously. She could think that she did that for nothing.
"Okay." I say.
I get up, and the doctor brings me to Regina's room.
When I walk into that room, and I see her laying there, with her eyes closed, all those machines around her that help her to breathe...it's too much. I can't take it.

Regina's POV:

I can hear the door of my room opening. My parents came before. And also Molly. They didn't say anything. Maybe they think I can't hear them. The only one who didn't come is Idina. I'm starting to think the worst.
Then I hear someone starting to sob, and running to my side.
"Regina, I'm so sorry" says a familiar voice.
Idina!
Come on, take her hand. Squeeze it. Wake up. Open your eyes. Damn it, Regina!
Don't be sorry, Idina, please, don't cry. I'm fine. I'm in here. And you're fine too. You stayed here.
I can hear her sobbing. I just wish I could wake up and hug her and tell her that it's not her fault, and just never let her go.
"Molly told me so many things about you. I think we're similar" she says, trying to stop to cry.
I know. I didn't fall in love with you for anything.
"Regina, I don't know if you can hear me, but...please, wake up! I need you. It might sound crazy, but I love you. How could I not, after what you did for me?"
Even if I can't see it, I can imagine Idina looking at me with her eyes full of hope, trying to catch even a small movement of my body that can make her understand I am here and I can hear her.
But I don't have any control over my body.
I'm sorry, Dee.
Idina sighs. She stops talking to me, but she's still holding my hand.
She's probably crying in silence.
"Idina! Turn on the TV. You need to see this." says Molly.
Oh no. What's going on?
"Latest news of the day, the singer and actress Idina Menzel almost got shot by a guy when she was walking out of the Broadway Theater, where she was performing. Almost, because one of her fans who was waiting for her outside covered Miss. Menzel with her body, so the bullet didn't hit the singer's back. We don't know about the conditions of the girl, and neither where Idina Menzel is now. Some people said they saw her in the ambulance with the girls, which means she could be at the hospital."
No, no, no. This isn't good. That guy could have been in a group. If they find out where Idina is...
"The staff is already locking the hospital. No one can get in or out. You're safe here, Idina. But I think you should leave, and go somewhere you are sure to be safe." says my mom.
Everyone is in the room now.
Idina squeezes my hand. She's afraid. I wish I could squeeze it back, or hug her so tight. I'd almost die for her all over again, if I had to.
Idina, leave. You can't stay here. You're not safe here.
I can feel Idina getting closer to me.
"Regina, I'm not leaving. I'll stand by you, til the end." she whispers in my ear.
I know. Why are you so stubborn? Right, you're Idina Menzel.