Chapter 42: Forty-Two

Author's Note:

Thanks for your patience with this, I know I skipped a day, apologies!

There have been some other short stories up yesterday, and they are linked at the end for you to check out if you want.

And without further ado, I present chapter forty-two. (Hey, that rhymes!)

bobbiejelly

Falling Apart, Barely Breathing

In Which Addison meets Meredith in a bar. Things spiral from there. This is the story about what might have happened after Meredith asks Derek to "Pick Me, Choose Me, Love Me" but before he decides to do anything about it, and after SHE decides to do something about it. MerAdd. Meddison. Set during "Bring the Pain" GA. An Addison Montgomery/Meredith Grey - Grey's Anatomy Fanfiction. Written by bobbiejelly. NOW RATED E FOR EXPLICIT. You're welcome :)

Chapter 42: Forty-Two

"42" by Coldplay, An Excerpt.

And since I fell for that spell

I am living there as well, oh

Time is so short and I'm sure

There must be something more.

When the kissing finally stops with Meredith pulling away to check the time on Addison's (functioning!) watch on her wrist, Addison spies a decorated blue post-it note on the potted plant's flower pot. She goes to read it as Meredith bites her lip shyly, which Addison finds incredibly endearing as she sees this out of the corner of her eye. The note reads:

"Addison, take an aspirin if you need it along with the whole glass of water before going to work in the morning. Your key is not stolen, it was borrowed so that I could drive the car to work in the morning like you promised I could last night. You'll get it back soon. Thanks for the Memories. Best Wishes."

Meredith didn't sign it, as a joke because Addison didn't sign hers either at the time. But Addison knew and understood it, and she held it up to her heart and she said it was nice of Meredith that the "thanks for the memories" part wasn't crossed out on this note like it was on her own.

"Why did you cross that part out that first night?" Meredith asks her seriously.

"I was so embarrassed I had such a good time with my ex-husband's ex-girlfriend and mistress and that I got pretty drunk drinking with a first-year intern the night I left my husband in Seattle," Addison finally confesses.

"So you didn't want me to know you had a good time in case I remembered you and wanted to drink with you again?" Meredith puts it this way and Addison hangs her head a bit.

"Are you, still ashamed, you like hanging out with an intern, and are actually dating one, I mean, me?" Meredith asks her seriously.

"No, not now that I know you better, and now that I hate myself less than that night. I think I was worried about what people would think of me since they already talked about me behind my back and called me things like "Satan" and the 'wicked witch of wherever New York is'. But I promise I'm not ashamed of being with you, now, I would tell you the truth if I was, I've just changed," Addison says as she realizes this answer herself as she says it.

"For what it's worth, Addie," Meredith says, calling her by that name because she still likes it as well...

"I'm not ashamed at all to be dating someone people call "Satan" or a 'wicked witch' or whatever they say. You matter to me and whatever people gossip about, that's their life," Meredith reassures Addison, pulling her into a hug.