CHAPTER EIGHT

A week later, and everything was falling into a routine. I would wake up next to Peter, we would hang out all day around the compound with the other ex Avengers, avoid touchy subjects, and fall asleep in the same bed again later at night. It was simple, it was easy, it was exactly what I needed.

Until everything got flipped upside down.

"My name is detective Simon, this is my partner detective Foster. We are federal agents with the FBI. Is Aurora Stark here?" Two men in suits walked out of the elevator and into the living room. All of the Avengers stood up when I did.

"Why?" I asked. Peter stood close behind me.

"We have a warrant for your arrest," detective Foster said. My eyes went wide.

"Woah, can we take a step back please? Why is there a warrant for my daughter?" My dad asked.

"She has been found guilty for the assassination of General Ross, among other officials," Simon said. It felt like my legs were going to give out from underneath me.

"She was kidnapped and brainwashed!" Bucky shouted. Everyone in the room was startled by his volume. Bucky never raised his voice or spoke out of turn.

"We're just the messengers, it's not up to us," Simon said. The pair walked farther into the living space, closer to me. They were still more than 15 feet away from me, but I stepped back into Peter anyways. He grabbed my shoulders to steady me.

"You need to leave," Steve said. He walked up to them, his frame towering over both of theirs. My dad stepped up next to him. He was significantly smaller, but just as intimidating with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Sir, we have a warrant-"

"I don't give a shit what you have, or what you don't have. You know what I have? A traumatized teenage daughter who's still in recovery from one of the most horrific kidnappings of the 21st century. Do you see her?" My dad said, angrily pointing back at me. Bucky, Clint, Natasha, and Rhodey stood behind Peter and I. "Do you see her?" Dad spit.

"We see her," Foster said.

"If you want her, you'll have to go through us. I don't think that's something you want to do." Steve said. I couldn't see his face, but I could picture his features pulling together in an angry scowl. The detectives backed off and excused themselves, stating they had other business to attend to. The elevator closed with them inside and I let out a shaking breath. Dad and Cap turned back around to face me.

Peter wrapped his arms around my waist and held me up. Without him, I think, I would fall on my knees and never stand up again.

"Are they gonna arrest me? Can they do that?" I asked the room.

"They arrested me," Bucky said.

"And they shouldn't have," Natasha said.

"They can just arrest her just like that? It wasn't her fault!" Dad said, coming up to me. Steve stood right behind him.

"You thought it was Bucky's fault," I said. Peter moved me to sit down next to him, and everyone sat down around us on the other couches.

"It's d-" Dad cut himself off. Because he knew it wasn't different. He knew that he thought Bucky was guilty, and at the end of the day? I think he thinks I'm a little bit guilty too.

"Look, Ari. You're gonna be fine, okay? All of us, we're gonna watch out for you. We won't let you get taken from us again," Steve said. Everyone pulled me into a group hug and my head rested on Dad's shoulder. Being with all of them made me feel safe. Loved, appreciated, respected, at home, safe.