3. His Life

It was already 1 PM. He was now at his office and was sitting at his chair. He just came from the luncheon meeting with Mr. Wiley. He didn't know how he was able to finish that meeting, or even fully understand their conversation, and be able to settle things out with him. His mind seemed to be working on its own, as  his heart seemed to have frozen, since that morning at the ob-gyn's clinic.

Dr. Son.

So, she's a doctor now. An ob-gyn. Her dream.

Seeing her was the last thing he thought would ever happen to him. He thought their paths will never cross. He knew she was in Texas, but not Houston. He remembered she told her that his dad was in El Paso, which was almost an 11-hr drive from Houston. And he never entertained the thought that he'll cross his path with her here.

It's almost 1:30 PM. He can't think of anything but her...their meeting, to be specific. After more than five years, he saw that face again. And he just felt nothing. Was he that shocked? 

Because at the moment, he just didn't know what to do...or even what to feel...Was it because he buried his pain so deeply that he couldn't reach it now? 

He closed his eyes. His love. His Yejin. Nothing. Blank. Empty. 

He looked at the clock. 2 PM. He decided to just go home and try to divert his attention. He called her secretary and told her to just email or call her for important matters.

Driving his Audi 2016 A3, he managed to arrive to his place at the WaterWall Place Luxury Apartments in 20 minutes. As he entered the lobby, he saw Ha-na sitting in the lounge.

"Hey, what are you doing there?"  He called her out.

"Oh Bin, you're early? I'm just waiting for Eun Jung, she bought something." She said, smiling, while holding what seemed to be a magazine as she waited for her younger cousin who lived with her.

"Yeah, I took off early. I'll go ahead. Will you be alright there?" He said, motioning towards the elevator. 

She nodded and smiled. "Sure, go get some rest."

He waved and rode the elevator to his floor. Inside his apartment, he got something to drink. As if the heavens was making fun of him, the only drink left in his fridge was his favorite cucumber lemonade he bought in a Korean store. 

He stopped. Bin, it's just a lemonade. Don't make a big deal out of it.

Drinking it, his mind was washed away, as if the taste brought back all the memories that he tried to forget. 

Bin, stop. It's not worth it. 

Sighing heavily, he sat at his sofa and looked outside. The sunny scenery and the adjacent park which can be seem from his living room just didn't help, bringing back that memory of the baseball field where he first saw her. 

Stop it, Bin. You're done with it.

Closing his eyes and laying his head on the sofa, he felt his chest tighten. What was previously an empty emotion now turned into a heavy barrel which seemed to weigh him down. As he felt the ache, his mind seemingly lost its battle as memories of the past flooded it down. 

Her face. Her eye-smile. Her laughter. Her stares. Her tears. Her kiss. 

And a tear fell as he sighed...Was fate making a joke on him?

Overwhelmed, he checked the time. It's only 5 AM in Seoul. Hali or Choi could still be sleeping. Though he needed to hear any of their voices, he didn't want to wake them up. They had done so much for him in the past years...