4. Chicken and Beer

That night, Yejin was watching TV when she heard a knock on her door. It was Yumi, bringing her favorite chicken and some beer.

"I knew you'd like some." She said, handling over the bags to her.

"You really knew me, huh?" She smiled at her friend's sweetness. 

"Wouldn't Matt look for you?" She said, worried about Yumi's boyfriend. 

Yumi comfrotably sat at her sofa as she took some plates for them. 

"You needed me tonight Yej. My ears are ready." Yumi said, grabbing a piece of the chicken she brought.

"You've been listening to me for so long...you might be tired with all these issues I have?"  She looked at her while handling the plate to her and taking the seat beside her. 

"I understand Yej, just talk, tell me how you feel."

"Nothing." She bowed down, looking at the plate she's holding.  She put it down and opened a can of beer. 

"Hmm?" Yumi said, in between munches.

"I'm so tired Yumi..." She said as she drank from her can. 

"I know, I saw what you went through before Yej...how you tried to reach out to him again, after your father died...how you almost quitted here and almost risked to lose everything here to go back to Seoul for him.."  Yumi said, looking at her with compassion. She learned about her story and Bin when she confided to her about it just after her father died. She had been her confidante since then.

Yejin sadly smiled. She remembered it all. 

Five years ago, she came to the US, hoping that they could work it out, that's why she agreed when he asked if they could try. She loved him, she was sure about it. But while being in the US for only four months, their relationship was tested. 

Though she had challenges with her schedule, she hit the bottom when her dad was diagnosed with lung cancer. Attending to her dad and her studies simply wore her out. And Bin had been very busy as well...

She loved him, yes, but the pressure and anxiety caused by the thought of losing his father and the challenges in her studies took its toll on her, that she felt her relationship with Bin also took the blow. That's why she sent that email to him, ending what they had. She cut off all her ties in Seoul, even with Hali and Choi, because she was afraid to face the consequences of what she did. At that time, she thought it was the best for all of them. With that, she spent her days juggling her time between her studies and her dad. 

After one and a half years, her dad succumbed to his disease. Though she had prepared for it, the pain was still unbearable, especially because she was not only grieving because of her dad, but also because of Bin. She tried to not focus on their break-up, only to face the consequences of her decision at that time. At that point, she realized how foolish her decision had been...Her love for him didn't die, and she took the courage to connect with him again...and so she dialed his number in Seoul, hoping it was still his same number..

---

"Hello?"

She heard an old woman's voice.

"Hello, may I speak with Bin, please?"

"Who's this?" The woman answered.

"It's Yejin."

She heard the woman's voice crack.

"Son Yejin?"

"Yes mam."