*Chapter 28

Zavian

She kept her eyes on my own as she entered and bowed, she offered her greetings to myself then my sister. Glancing rather irritably at Marius who thankful didn't seem too offended. I was already tired as we sat and made polite short conversion before the food arrived.

It was better than I had thought until I decided to be forward.

"Lady Linnet," she looked up at me, sea green eyes sparkling. "I trust you have been well?" She smiled.

"Very well, your Highness."

"I could not help notice your constant visits to the palace lately."

"Your Majesty's invitation for tea has been rather frequent as of late." My eyes squinted.

"Why is that?" She blinked.

"I believe you should as her that, your Highness." I nodded slowly and shrugged.

"Well, I guess it's better being here than under the watch of your father." Her smile faltered.

"My father?" She feigned ignorance.

"He has been a rather...unpleasant company since our visit to your manor." She looked down at her plate.

"Right. I guess politics can be irritating. "

"Is that really why he's so sour."

"What are you trying to say?" Her gaze was cold then, testing as she glared boldly at me. The twitch in her left eye had me tilting my head curiously.

"The key." I stated and she put her hands, palm down onto the table. "Where is it?"

"I have no idea, what you are referring to, your Highness." She looked away briefly.

"What does it lead to?" I found myself leaning forward, I felt Marius' warning grip on my thigh and ignores it.

"Is there something I should know, your Highness?"

"Yes, and I want to know it to." She licked her cheek.

"While I'm aware of your lack of interest in me, I'd have hoped you had enough of trying to make me your pawn." My brows furrowed, folding my fingers together I leaned my chin on them.

"How do you mean?"

"I can take many things, Prince Zavian," my eyes widened. "However being a spy for you is not one of them." She breathed deeply and loudly and grabbed a napkin to dab her lips. "I wanted to, I thought I could even get you to marry me by doing exactly what you need me to do to my father," she shook her head and breathed shakily. "How ever this meddling," her eyes began to shone, "it's not what I'm willing to sign up for."

I held onto my chair then, almost standing. "What do you mean? What did you see?"

She sniffed then and shook her head. "Nothing. Nothing." It sounded as though she were trying to convince herself. "I want no part in any of your games, any of the filth my father may be involved in. I chose ignorance, for once, I protect my peace of mind!" Her voice was rising, something I had never seen before. "Never again, Prince Zavian, never again shall you ask me of my father for my answer will remain the same, I know nothing...I've seen nothing and I'll forever hear nothing more than the peace and equality whispered to me in the open. I will not be a part of whatever goes on in the lives of men." She stood then and panting, glaring into my eyes, she signed and stormed off.

"What-" Marius began.

"In the world." Zyandra completed and I looked to their wide eyed shock.

"She knows something, and what ever it is," I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose.

"Things are feeling a lot colder than I had thought." Zyandra frowned.

The rest of the week before my leave was what can only be described as safe. Linnet continued to visit, enjoying lunch or tea with my mother, the two bonding more often than what made me comfortable, she even graced the presence of the king. Her father was still tense, silent during the board meetings I attended, I myself was less than vocal, exhausted with my fathers and I bickering.

Marius was an angel, he and I have always been known to be glued to the others side, this time since his birthday seemed worse.

At some point we prepared a cake together in the Royal kitchen, much to the argument of the cooks who knew of our antics which they had hoped we had out grown. The joys of spreading floor on Marius and eventually making something decent to feed my sister after we cleaned up of course.

It felt like old times in that space, remained me of the younger days when board meetings were yet to be on my agenda. Every night I slept in his arms, some he slept before me and I got to gaze upon his saintly face before slumber became my friend.

All to soon the day came that I would head to lord Buxton and Marius to Pilgra. We stood face to face in Shadow Grove. Looking up at him he seemed content, happy.

"You really don't have to." I took his hand, rubbing my thumb over his palm.

"I want to." I sigh. "I'm glad actually." I looked up at him. "I feel included in your struggles, your worries. I feel I'm living up to my vow when I do this."

I frowned. So young he was, and yet as free as I wanted him to be, he still tried so hard to please me, to do something for me.

I leaned up, pulling his face down to my face, I touched his lips, his arms wrapping around my waist, pulling me flush against him.

"Be safe," I murmured against his lips. "And find me immediately. Do you understand?" He chuckled and pressed another kiss to my lips, firmly, his tongue slipping through and my heart threatened to jump out of my throat. I smiled as we pulled apart.

"Stop acting like this is goodbye forever."

I pouted and pushed against his chest.

My carriage was waiting and beside it, Zyandra waited, dressed in leather black and mysterious looking but gorgeous nonetheless.

"You have plans tonight?" I asked looking her up and down.

"I'm coming with you."

"But, Zyandra y-"

"No. I wasn't asking." She sighed and licked her teeth. "I need a distraction... I need...not to be here."

I closes in on her, touching her shoulder I rubbed her arm.

"Did something happen? Is it lord de Beville?" She frowned.

"Just take me with you?" Her voice was softer then. "I'd like to forget that I'm a princess, that I have duties to my family, just for a few days."

I didn't ask her any more, instead I pulled her close, holding her to me as she signed and her shoulders slumped. I caught sight of her handmaiden getting into the carriage and chuckled. I never stood a chance.

A/N

Written: 3 June 2020