*Chapter 54

Zavian

The board watched me silently, expectantly and I sighed.

"I've gained reports of an army being assembled in Pilgra. There is no conformation on whom formed it or leads it but I hold my suspicions. An army of our own may need to be gathered irrespective of whom we end up fighting."

"Your Highness," lord Steward began. "Are you claiming lord Greene as the enemy?"

The question was deliberate, the answer would determine more than just the accusation but would give lord Greene all the reasons to form an army if my suspicions are wrong.

"No. I cannot claim any enemy for word has yet to be sent. I simply wish to have us prepared for the worst, and planning for we cannot even be sure if the target is the palace or any of the surrounding districts."

They muttered among each other for a moment.

"Your Highness, while on my visit under your instruction there I can say there was hostility. Lord Greene holds anger towards his termination from board however I cannot say it is great enough to raise an army against you."

"Did you find out about the wall?"

The lord looked around then nervously.

"He... He claims he is preparing...for the attack from mages."

"Does that mean he's known? Of their existence?"

"How is this possible?"

"He never even said."

"So he means to hold such information from board for how long? Building his wall he leaves the rest of the kingdom defenceless. Your Highness," the lord took a deep breath. "We cannot waste time, Greene's initiative proves the cause for danger."

"Why?" I furrowed my brows. "The ex board member builds a wall against mage and you feel panicked? You trust his judgement more than my own?"

"We mean no offense, your Highness, however the man is experienced in the matter."

"What?"

"His family, they have had close and personal conflict with mage thus I feel he is more equipped with word on them." The information was new to me.

"Close in what sense?"

"His great great grandfather married a witch." My face went slack then and I leaned forward. "They married for a year before she died and in her death cursed his family."

I felt ice run through my veins. My mind went back to Griselda, her confession to having been compromised, the witch who had been betrayed and had ended up giving away the book which held the witch in Pilgra bound.

"This is the first I'm hearing this."

"It is a rather shameful past, one he hopes to banish from history itself." I looked to lord Buxton who cleared his throat. "Either way, we must take precautions."

They went on talking about measures to enforce now and I thought to lord Greene and his great great grandfather. Life was indeed funny.