*Chapter 35

Zavian

I didn't know what to call it buy I was happy, seeing Linnet enjoy herself as she danced with wealthy and young gentlemen, winning their hearts by being herself. Fendrel, I saw was not the happiest to miss the chance for her hand in a dance which I found peculiar. He seemed more than eager to grace Linnet's presence, what, I wondered stopped her from presence him, the easiest pray.

"Welcome, Ladies and gentlemen." Lord Tudor took the stage then with beaming smiles. "I believe you all cannot wait to begin the main event of this night, jut before we do, I would love to give my deepest gratitude to my felloe friends and colleagues who dug deep and gave to the orphaned children and widowed women of our great Borden. A round of applause for your generosity."

Everyone clapped eagerly.

"Now, what I'm sure you've all been waiting for." He stared into the crowd with the bright eyes of a child. "As ladies first is always something I practice, I think tonight we begin with the biding of men, just to sprinkle a bit of change." The crowd laughed and then began the fun.

Men of age climbed onto the stage and women began their bids, paying for the company of each gentlemen. Marius finally climbed the stage, a frown on his face as he scanned the crowd. I was not surprised as a woman yelled out a number far exceeding the start up deal. Looking towards her, she licked her lips, staring at Marius like a starved animal to a point where even I was uncomfortable and without my knowing, glaring at her.

"Do be calm, your being obvious." I jumped slightly and saw Fendrel chuckle, a lady on his arm, she smiled and bowed in greeting.

"Fendrel, my dear friend if you value your manhood, shush." The lady giggled and Fendrel pouted.

Looking back Marius was snatches up by a shy lady, I was glad it were not the first woman. This lady was blushing and looking down as she claimed Marius, reaching for his hand, she grasped it and glanced up at him before averting her gaze, Marius sighed and found my amused gaze, he offered me a glare.

Soon I was introduced to the stage, I fought back a blush as I was announced.

Linnet offered up the first bid and I glared.

Another countered and then another and then Linnet. The girl smirked at me, she knew with this she would have earned my time and with it my pleasantry. I rolled my eyes at the ridiculousness of it. Finally the other girl won.

I found her within the crowd, she walked towards the stage with a head held high, she wore a beautiful red dress, smirking, her dark eyes stayed on me. I glanced and saw Linnet smiling widely like a good sport, applauding.

"Your Highness," she bowed and held out her hand. "I am lady Romola, I do believe I have earned your time." Her voice was soft and polite, I chuckled and kissed her hand.

"A true pleasure, lady Romola, I do hope we enjoy each other," she flushed and her eyelashes fluttered.

Soon the women to be bid for climbed the stage then. The laughed and giggled on the stage, each of them being paid for their company and I was surprised as Linnet climbed the stage. I chuckled. She had not had the intention of winning me.

"That is a surprise. I wouldn't have expected her to be part of the ladies to be bid for. I thought they weren't allowed to participate in the biding." Lady Romola mused.