*Chapter 12

Zavian

There was an air of excitement around the palace, the kind that left me on edge from the hustle and bustle of helpers and planners running around to get the place on the way it needed to be.

I had been in a meeting the entire morning so I was left exposed to the thick of my mothers ball before I had time to really prepare.

The helpers you could tell were dodging my path but really I was too which resulted in too many close calls which brought a deep shallow sigh from me before I arrived in the main hall.

I paused looking around and spotted a familiar pair of green eyes and coy smile. Linnet was here, helping with the decor and proving to be very helpful, I found myself scowling despite myself as my eyes settled on my mother giving polite hushed orders to a row of helpers.

"Mother." I arrived beside her.

"Zavian, what, prey tell, is this about?" Her perfectly plucked brow rose as she briefly glanced at me before ticking something off a piece of paper.

"Other than passing through, I find myself deeply concerned with the progress of your occasion." I shifted as a woman nearly tripped holding a bouquet to large for her to carry and be aware of her surroundings.

"All you have to do, is whatever you usually do, pay us no mind." She waved her hand and began marching towards a group of men bringing in tables and telling them where to place them.

"A moment of your time would be nice." I muttered and she huffed turning to me with a stern look and I pursed my lips.

"No time could be ever so awkward, dear boy." My eye twitched. "I find it rather displeasing you'd chose now of all the moments to have a chat. Never have you ever, what brings this on now?" She maintained a poise I wish I could master as people glanced at us wearily and I looked away from my mother's cold calculating gaze.

"My apologize, I guess I wondered if it were necessary to have a ball while parts of our kingdom are experiencing drought." My jaw clenched then as my motivation rose and I looked her in the eye. "I was hoping to speak reason with you and have you postpone this unnecessary gathering which honestly isn't even worth the expense." She took a deep breath and closed in on me, her eyes darted around us.

"Try not to belittle my actions in front of help, dear child." Her hand graced my arm then and squeezed. "I am not your enemy." Her eyes gleamed, a small barely noticeable frown set in before she glanced behind me and and blinked rapidly. "This party was not my idea." She muttered lowly before turning from me.

"Your Highness," slowly I rounded and faced the beaming girl. "How lovely to see you so late in the day." I narrowed my eyes halfheartedly.

"Lady Linnet, I wasn't aware of your part in this...festive planning." She flushed and her eyelashes battered.

"Well, I only made a few suggestions here and there, your sister deserves the best after all." I tilted my head not following.

"My sister?"

"Yes, I heard she has yet to chose a groom and as you know, a Lady cannot waste time in the natter of her marriage." My brows rose and my mouth formed in a circle.

"I see." I nodded. "Then what is your reason? Other than wanting a crown not belonging to you?" Her smile wavered and her eyes for a moment turned stormy, I felt my amusement rise from that moment of hostile feeling which took her.