*Chapter 5

Marius

I took a horse from the horse rental place, promising it's return within four days. I had made it back by night fall.

I took my time studying the village after my encounter with the Mage known as Griselda. The people were friendly, almost always willing to engage in conversation. It didn't seem harmless but only then as her words echoed, did it feel like a threat.

I was on edge not only from her words but her appearance, twice in a short time and her existence. All my life in the palace, I knew I was alone, at least I always thought I was, at least around the prince. Her stepping forward had me wondering about a lot of things, bit most importantly, I wondered about the safety of my prince, a safety she, unfortunately, represented for me.

After all, why did she only reach out now? What had changed? Where had she been hiding this whole time? And bigger than that, who was she working with? The world was dark and dangerous and where my prince was concerned I wouldn't take chances.

The grounds were silent, I found one stable boy left and handed him the horse, telling him where it came and how soon it should be returned before someone came to threaten the king for theft. I chuckled at my own words and made my way through the grounds.

In the night they seemed daunting yet peaceful, I could hear the clinking of metal being sharpened and the shifting of armour as guards walked through the palace. I found the Prince's balcony, light softly shone through and I grinned. Looking around, I confirmed the lash of eyes and shifted half way, allowing my skin to scale over and my wings to emerge but not their full length or breadth, a skill I had acquired a few months back. I flew up with one flap and landed on his balcony floor with a smile at a faint memory when the Prince was only 12. My wings retracted back and my skin was brown again.

His doors were closed, the curtains drawn back still and I cleared my throat.

"Sweet maiden, will you not let me in? For the night is cold and leaves me lonely. Allow me to gaze upon thee once before death becomes me." I held out my hand dramatically and watched my handsome prince turn towards me with brows furrowed.

He closed the book in his hand and walked over to open the door. I opened my mouth before his arms wrapped around my chest, I was a good foot taller than him, his head was just beneath my chin and I grinned wrapping my arms around him. Feeling the familiar flop of my heart at his mere presence. I allowed the comfort of his scent to fill me, to east my underlying worries.

"Where have you been!?" He pulled away scowling at me. "Do you know how worried I almost was?"

"Only almost?" I shook my head. "I should have waited another three hours then." I laughed as the book came flap against my chest.

"Do not play with me, Marius."

"But it's so much fun." I nit my lip excited and laughing softly as he turned from me with a roll of his eye.

"Ugh, what ever." I walked in closing the doors and pulling his curtains together.

"You really should stop forgetting to close these, there are creepy people out there." He sat down and eyed me cautiously. I was glad he hadn't forgotten to be careful, cautious, but I wanted him smiling and carefree more than this.

"Did you hear something?" His face pinched worriedly and I smiled.

"Oh, come on now, no need to be so scared, I'm here, remember." I knelt down beside him and he followed me with a frowning face. I smiled.