*Chapter 41

Zavian

Zyandra would not utter a word in explanation the entire rise home while I marvelled at her fuming gaze fixed straight ahead, she muttered to herself from time to time, huffing and flipping her hair in outrage.

This lord Benton was certainly under her skin.

Once we arrived Zyandra left the carriage, stomping her feet and taking off her small crown and throwing it towards Kathleen whose eyes had been wide and fearful as she cause the thing and she continued to undress herself all the way to her room.

I chuckled until I saw Marius, a bowl of grapes in his hand, he chewed curiously staring after my sister.

"The girl has met her match."

"Oh? I thought she had been insulted again."

"Oh, she has." I took a grape and he glared at me to which I offered a smile and grabbed hold of his hand. I lead him up the stairs towards the library then, feeling sick of my bedroom after having to stay in it forcefully for days.

Marius took a seat in his usual place when he would read a book and I slid my chair over to him and sighed reaching into my pocket.

"Here." His eyes widened.

"How- why?"

I grinned at him as he took it into his hand. "She offered a proposal." He eyed me curiously, his brows raised.

"She? You did not ask for it first?"

"She knew what I'd want in return for the favour she asked of me."

"Which was?"

"Be her sponsor."

"For?"

"She wants to open a shop. I believe she's attempting independence, now that she realised how shallow the world we lived in was. Apparently they all depressed her by claiming she'd never get married now that she was 18." I rolled my eyes and Marius laughed and shook his head.

"So, shall we go scouting?"

I felt the humour drain from me and I sighed leaning onto my palm.

"It seems too easy...I have a feeling this won't be what we wanted or needed at the moment."

"Have a little hope, hmm?"

True to my earlier statement we found behind the door opposing the kings secret study to be empty and to be what looked to be a large dungeon.

The black of the room was extremely worrying and Marius, turning around and looking all over had a conflicted look on his face. I wasn't sure what I was meant to be expecting, how I had hoped to feel but a nagging in my mind caused an irritation to grow in my heart as my face pinched and my eyes scanned the room.

"It's still warm." I turned to him as he clutched shackles too small to be that of an adult. "They knew we'd come here." I frowned.

I thought of how the witch back in Pilgra had spelled the place to keep Mage's from finding anything on that land and I thought to my sudden lack of recognition of the hallway leading to this place, the missing piece in my mind about the kings secret study and the fact that it took seeing Linnet to remember snipers of it but not all and I felt an anger slowly develop in my chest.