*Chapter 30

Zavian

What had I witnessed? Who was that woman? Where did she come from? What did she know?

I nibbled on my thumb, pacing in my allocates room. After giving Buxton the new place, with great convincing, I had stayed to watch as his inspector's looked over the land for suitability and investigates ownership. Work that they claimed would take them the whole day so construction would take place the day after tomorrow.

Zyandra had been gone along with lord Buxton's son so I was alone with his staff on his large manor. I wanted to go back, to talk to that woman whose tree like features spoke volumes. She warned me not to come to her land however, as the witch from Pilgra once said, I don't like to listen.

I found myself in the kitchen, deciding that I'd go on my adventure tomorrow, hopefully get some useful information.

Fallen mage, standing at the kitchen table, stirring my tea I thought about what that could be, I doubted it was as straight forward as it sounded, every mage had fallen in the sense that they lost their place in the world but ultimately, more of them died, so what fallen? I thought more on her statement only to realise that, I deeply missed Marius and wanted nothing more than to share this with him.

I hope he was faring well.

I decided then to go out into the town instead.

Buxton's town of Ellingwel was bright and full of smiling faces. I was known with the countless bows issued and greetings my way. He lived in a wealthy town of his district which was livelier than the town lord Greene lived in.

It brought a weird sense of joy. Marius would enjoy this. I was alone, lucky that lord Buxton had not insisted on my keeping guards, inspiring trust and peace as I looked over the food stalls in the market filled with fresh fruits and vegetables bright and healthy despite their complaint of water.

I came across the town square, a large rounded area paved with pale bright, surrounded by shops of clothing and food. A tent was put up and a crowd gathered.

"Here ye, here ye! The king of Arawan invites thee! From near and far we gather auspiciously, for the grand introduction of a man so despicable!" My brows furrowed as I focused my attention as the showman spoke. "Not long ago, a woman was found, covered in thorns though her beauty be bound! In times of old and new fortune time, he gazed upon her and declared her his wife!"

The words were riddled and not in a way I could find sense, however a scene played where a woman was portrayed to be in thorns she was beautiful, helpless, crying out, when a man, completely covered in jewels and a crown appeared. He spotted her and rescued her from thorns, he smiled and music of suspense played, the showman speaking.

Soon a boy pulled my pants, he held out a bucket of coins. I paid my dues and watched. My neck prickled and I turned to inspect the guests behind me in this crowd. I felt a sense of unease creep under my skin before resuming to watch the show.

It depicted the woman after being saved, forced to marry the woman who saved her, then later she fled to the woods, where she had been found, the dying corpse of the love of her life lay before her.

"Be safe, my dear, for my time has run out. Take this as a token of my lovers pulsing heart." The man said dying dramatically, he passed a deep blue jewel and she held onto it. I turned to see a man looking at me briefly, I caught the flash of a sharp knife before he turned his body from me and I tried to memories his looks, my unease having rooted itself in my heart. I looked back at the show.