32

A nearby flame pricked me, causing me to jump back away from the fire wall, not able to find safety anywhere I stood. My brain ran everywhere it could, any possible loop hole that would kill the fae instead of Fox's actual body. The truth was thought that I didn't know enough about Fae in general, my first mistake.

"Planning won't get you anywhere, Luna." I looked back at the twisted smirk on Fox's face, not recognizing the person behind it anymore.

"Hiding behind a familiar face doesn't mean I can't disconnect my mate bond, fae." His eyebrows rose and head tilted, a fake grin spreading across his face.

"Is that so? Isn't a mate's bond the strongest in the world? You think you can kill me then?" I didn't answer, instead buying time and recharging my lost energy from the bolted cage.

"You or Fox?" I responded simply while trying to gain fake confidence. The darkness around his eyes lightened for a split second, a glitch in the emerald eyes revealing an orange hue. I squinted my eyes at the person in front of me wondering if there really was a loop hole to allow Fox control.

"Using a handsome face won't boost your confidence, you know that?" I continued. He laughed and shook his head.

"Insinuating i'm ugly while your life is about to be targeted? I didn't realize you were entirely stupid and it wasn't just rookie behavior."

"And how would a fae know a Luna's job? I'm just the distraction." My hands rested behind my back, hiding out of his view.

"The target can't be both the victim and the distraction." I started pulling heat from the flames and molding them into electricity. I could only pray this new technique would work.

"Really? I'm the only one fighting this battle here, I think I can claim all the jobs." The bolt stuck out from the ceiling above him, slowly growing. It took all of my focus to act like I didn't see anything.

"Even the casualty?" His smirk was back, but I refused to recognize it as familiar. I opened my mouth to respond, but before I could he looked up at the bolt stretching down. I watched as he chuckled and looked back at me, raising a simple finger to engulf the bolt into flames, embers flying. I bit my tongue, drawing blood.

"I'll take that as a yes." His arm raised, the flames flying as a ball of fire with the throw of his hand. I ducked and rolled, my body barely managing to avoid major burns. I hissed at the singe of my skin but didn't allow the pain to be a distraction, pushing it to the back of my mind.

I reached for a nearby flick of flames, the fire instantly transforming into bolts this time. It extended and only nicked his ankle before it too grew back into flames. Another ball of fire soared straight at me positioned on the floor and I barely dodged by falling flat, the fire joining the wall behind me.

Before I could get up I was climbed on top of and a punch sunk into my eye, only it didn't stop. I could feel the blood sticking to my hair as I was beat into the floor, but I couldn't let it just end so simply.

The bolts I had created extended from the wall around me as he was distracted in beating, and within seconds he was electrocuted and his body forced itself to tighten, toppling off of me. I immediately pushed myself off the ground, my face numb and dripping but I didn't hesitate.

I let out a grunt of pain as I forced more energy from my body, hundreds of bolts aiming past me at Fox. His body tightened, allowing my body to breathe. I couldn't risk passing out while I was alone.

Flames were flying at my face within a second, but I reacted faster with extended hands, the fire molding into a ball of electricity. I sent it back as he stood, but he was just as quick.