Ch. 5: almost drowning but ft. a death

"Oh, happy birthday, Percy!" Mrs. Weasley cried, hugging the boy next to her. He nodded his thanks and tried to get out of his mother's hold, which appeared to squeeze his insides so hard his eyes bulged slightly.

"Can we have cake now?" Fred whined, sitting to the left of Elaine.

"Or do we have to suffer through more of Percy telling us about his-" George paused before taking a big breath, along with his twin.

"Oh so important job at the ministry counting quills!" they said together, giving an eerily accurate impression of their brother. The table went silent, and Elaine gave the twin sitting across from her a sympathetic smile.

"Well, we gave it a try, George."

"Right you are Fred. Though I reckon we should stick to our normal jokes; they didn't seem to like our version of Percy."

"So, cake?" Ginny said, raising her voice above her brothers. Her mother nodded and placed the cake on the table.

Elaine had been introduced to Percy, and he found the circumstances quite interesting, asking lots of questions before Ron shut him up with a noise complaint. Elaine wouldn't admit it, but she was thankful for Ron in that moment.

"Make a wish, Percy!" Molly said, smiling wide. He blew out the candles and everyone cheered. Molly went to cut the cake before Elaine cried out.

"No!" everyone looked at her. She blushed before continuing calmly, "sorry, my sister Selena insisted I get a picture of the cake for her to replicate back home. It'll take two seconds, I promise."

"Go ahead, dear," Molly smiled, nodding. Elaine was unaware that nearly everyone at the table was staring at her phone as she pulled it out.

Before she could even unlock it, the twins chimed together: "One... two. Cake time!"

"Oh, stop that." their mother scolded. Elaine took her picture and was about to put away her phone but Harry, who was beside her, grabbed it.

"Hey!" Elaine said, watching as it passed down the table to Mr. Weasley.

"Sorry, Elaine. I promised I'd show him," Harry said, attempting to smile sweetly. Instead his face held the picture of someone who knew that he'd gotten under her skin. Not that Elaine minded Arthur having her phone, she just didn't like it being taken from her hands.

"Cake, Elaine?" Hermione asked, holding out a piece of cake. It looked amazing, and Elaine nodded, almost forgetting about her phone as she ate.

"This is the most curious device, Elaine. Why does it say I've disabled it? And how did a muggle get a moving picture on the front screen?" Elaine choked down a laugh at the man's interest before answering him.

"It's my lock screen, Mr. Weasley. And I have to put in a password before you can get into my phone," Elaine said.

"A password?" Hermione asked. "My mother's phone doesn't have a password."

"Well, it's optional, but it's suggested. That way no one random can pick up your phone and call someone or text them or look through your apps."

"That's reasonable. Smart, actually."

"Yes, it's quiet-" Elaine was stopped by a loud blaring and a phone dialing. Panic rushed through her and Arthur threw the phone down onto the table. Elaine rushed up to grab it, but it was too late. "Oh, Mr. Weasley, you've called the police!"

Elaine quickly hung up before the operator could start talking, and everyone looked simply confused except Harry and Hermione.

"There's a button for emergencies, like if someone kidnaps you or you get in a car accident, you can access help easier than opening the phone and dialing the number," Elaine said as she sat back down, placing her phone in her pocket.