Ch. 28: its a funny story, actually

The day after Christmas Elaine was up before George, getting out of his arms and going to visit with her father in the kitchen. Selena was up as well, and they both smiled at her when she came in.

"I miss seeing your face around the house, Lou," he father said, pulling her into a side hug.

"I miss you guys too. Don't worry, though, I got back tomorrow after dinner, so we get two days together," Elaine assured them.

"Hey, since you brought your boy toy, can we go shopping and have some girl time? Please. I live with two males and neither of them understand my struggles. I need my sister for a little while. And before you say anything, Jorge will be just fine with dad and Ryder. If anything, it will help."

Elaine stared at her sister, an eyebrow raised. She then looked at her father, who just shrugged.

"Okay. Give me 15 minutes, maybe more, if George is being a twat. In 12 minutes go start the car, okay?"

Selena nodded, grinning.

---

"How was Jorge?" Selena asked, buckling up when her sister got into the car.

"He just mumbled something about not dying and rolled over to go back to sleep. Really charming," Elaine said, smiling. She began to back out of the driveway, and then she began to drive to the boutiques downtown.

"Do you love him?" Selena asked, looking at her sister.

"I think so, yea."

"You think so?"

"I mean I told him the other day." Elaine shrugged, glancing at her sister for a second to catch her reaction. She looked behind them quickly and saw a black van behind them, even as they took a back road.

"WHAT DID HE SAY?"

"Lena, inside voice, please."

"That's how he replied? Some boyfriend he is," Selena joked. Elaine rolled her eyes and turned up the radio. She glanced in the back mirror and saw a black van still trailing her.

"Hey, do you have your phone on you?" Elaine asked her sister, glancing behind them more than she normally would. Selena pulled it out and Elaine looked at it and nodded, letting go of a breath.

"Why?"

Elaine didn't answer, instead taking four rights, going in a circle. She looked behind her and saw she was still being followed.

"Elaine?" Selena asked, now looking behind them as well. "Is everything okay?"

"I'm sure it's fine. Will you text dad for me?" Elaine tried hard not to have her voice shake, so she wouldn't scare her sister.

"Sure. What do you want to say?" Selena opened up her phone, unaware that Elaine was driving all around town instead of going to their location.

"Um, can you say 'Elaine forget her ice pack, will you come drop it off?'"

"Why in the world do you need an ice pack? We can just turn around and go ho-"

"No!" Elaine was trying not to panic, but was failing. "We can't go home, Lena. Text dad for me, please."

"What's going on, Elaine?" Selena asked after sending the text.

"We're being followed."

There was a silence, as Selena looked around the street in front of her, realizing they were nowhere close to downtown.

"Maybe they just want to go shopping, too," Selena said, looking at her sister, confused.

"They've been following me as I go in circles around town, Lena. We're nowhere near downtown."