Ch. 33: our song

A week had gone by since Elaine found out about her mother. Quite a few things had occurred in that time...

    Elaine made the decision not to tell her family, because she figured her mother had wanted it that way, and she would tell them when she saw how she had adjusted to her new life. It may have been selfish to keep it from them, but she wanted them to keep their good memories of their mother and wife as long as they could.

    Elaine had started work again, and was recovering quickly from the whole kidnapping ordeal. Her nightmares were still occasional, but they were talked through and silenced with George's help.

    And finally, everyone agreed it was time for Elaine to get her own wand. She had been using their wands, because she still didn't quite believe it. So she used theirs, and once she had set something on fire and levitated a feather, she knew it was time. They had had two dinners with Ron and Hermione, and they were shocked at the news. Ron seemed a bit frustrated that him moving out had made him behind on all the information.

    "Ready, love?" George asked, poking his head through the doorway. It was New Years Eve, and they were getting her wand in a few minutes.

    "Almost. Can I borrow a jumper?" Elaine asked, looking through their closet for clothes. "Er, sweatshirt."

    "Yes, you can borrow my jumper," George replied, smiling at her usage of the word.  "I think Fred is getting anxious though, so you'd better hurry up."

    "Why is he anxious? It's not his wand..." Elaine muttered, pulling a big sweatshirt over her head. She put her hair up, and then went to George to grab his hand.

    "Probably because he's excited for you, Lou."

    "He can shove his excitement up his a-"

    "Whoa there, Lanie! Was that profanity you were about to use?!" Fred gasped, meeting them in the kitchen.

    "Yea. By the way, I'm calling in one of my twenty cakes now. It better be here before dinner time," Elaine said, smiling as the three walked through the flat to the store.

    "I regret giving you such a nice present for your birthday. I was hoping you had forgotten," Fred huffed, almost tripping over a display case. "Who put that there? Bloody idiot..."

    "You did," George said simply, laughing.

    "Oh. Right."

    "Seems like you're the forgetful one, Alfred. Tsk tsk." Elaine walked out the door, holding it open for the boys.

    "Oh, thank you, kind miss," George thanked her dramatically, kissing her.

    "Gross. I may just go and barf," Fred said, tripping over his own shoes as they walked. "Bloody hell!"

    "Alfred, mind your language. There are children about," Elaine told him, shaking her head at him. He stuck his tongue out at her and she did the same.

    "You're both children," George said.

    "We're the same age!" Fred countered, crossing his arms over his chest.

    "Yea, and i'm older than the both of you," Elaine reminded him, looking up at his face.

    "No one who is that much shorter than me can be older than me. Not possible," George shook his head as he said this, making Elaine let go of his hand and walk on the other side of Fred, instead of in the middle of the two.

    "So, Fred, dear, how has your day been?" Elaine said sweetly.

    "Boring, really. You, Lanie?"