Ch. 9: having to deal with children

Two weeks had passed since Elaine's first day on the job, and let's just say she hated children. So, so much. She was incredibly thankful when the waves of children coming to spend their parents' money died down after September first, but there were still plenty of young children and already graduated children, not to mention tourists.

Elaine had honestly never thought of what it would be like to be a wizard and travel, obviously because she wasn't a wizard. When the first American accent hit her, she was shocked. Though, Elaine supposed, even wizards were people, and most people traveled.

She was just closing up shop when someone tapped her on the back, causing her to jump and scream as she flipped the open sign to close.

"Oh, sorry, Elaine," George said, grinning as she turned around. She glared at him and pushed past, gathering her things behind the cash register.

"Did you need something or were you just trying to scare me?"

"Well, I was going to see if you wanted to use the floo or come with me to get back for dinner?"

Elaine thought for a moment. Most days she used the floo network, and every time it made her nauseous, to the point that Molly had placed a bucket near the fireplace at the Burrow, just in case.

"I'd love to come with you, thanks. Are you staying after dinner to come back?" She asked, following him back to the front of the store. He smiled at her, remembering the time she had thrown a near hissy fit when he had to leave right after dinner instead of staying a while.

"I don't know, it depends on what's for dinner." This didn't make any sense to Elaine, but she didn't have time to question it as he laced his fingers through hers and the next time she was able to breathe she was staring at the Burrow.

"ELAINE!" Ginny came out near screaming, running to meet Elaine where she was. The two had gotten rather close, and Ginny said it was because she always wanted a sister. Sure, Hermione was around sometimes, but everywhere she went she was with either Ron or Harry. But Ginny mostly got Elaine all to herself, so much so that Elaine hasn't even moved out of Ginny's room.

When Ginny finally made it to the girl, she tackled her in a hug that brought them both down the ground, causing Elaine to gasp. You'd think the two hadn't seen each other in years, but it had really only been a day's worth of work for Elaine.

Ginny, bless her soul, hadn't returned to work yet. She was going to go back finally on Monday, and Elaine dreaded the day she was going to move out of the Burrow. Ginny, thankfully, told her that she was staying home until she found someone to move somewhere with; she couldn't stand being alone.

"Ginny, I can't breathe." The girl got off at this, and George helped Elaine off the grass. "Merlin's beard, Ginny, I haven't been gone for more than 10 hours!"

"Yes, 10 hours of listening to Harry insist I should go visit Neville," Ginny started as they started walking to the house. "And I definitely would, but I don't know if I can stomach being at the school again, and that's where Neville is. Oh! George, mum said you had to stay after dinner tonight, because there's a family meeting of sorts about Elaine."

"I'm sorry, about me?" Elaine nearly tripped over the threshold and Ginny nodded.

"Yea, I don't know what it's about, so don't pester me."

"I would not-"

"Yes, yes you would." George patted Elaine on the head as she cut her off, causing her to fight the urge to bite him.

---

"Thanks for dinner, Molly," Elaine said, smiling. The women had begun to be like a second mother. Of course, she was no replacement to Elaine's real mother, but it was nice to have a motherly figure again. She didn't know what she was going to do when she had to go back home to America, losing another mom.