Ch. 27: actual Christmas

"Elaine!" Selena yelled, crashing into her sister to give her a hug. Elaine hugged her back, smiling at her. She saw her brother and father in the house, looking out the front door from the couch. They were all still in their pajamas, an Ashryver tradition. No one got out of pajamas until December 26.

    "Can you let me inside now? It's cold," Elaine said, letting go over her sister. Selena nodded, running inside without a glance at George. She turned to look at him and grinned. "Lets go, hot stuff."

    He followed her inside and when they were taking off their shoes they heard a faint scream from the living room. Elaine looked to see her family genuinely shocked, Selena gripping her brother's arm tightly.

    "What? What's wrong?" Elaine asked, concerned. She and George walked to them, and they stared.

    "We all agreed it was a dream..." Ryder said, looking at George. "But here he is, again."

    Elaine laughed and grabbed George's hand.

    "George, say hello again to my insane family."

    "Hello, everyone," George said, smiling. Ryan looked between the two, and at their intertwined hands.

    "So you two finally got together, huh? We knew you were coming, Elaine, but George joining us is a surprise." He looked at his eldest daughter, smiling. She took George around the couch and they sat together on the floor in front of the tree.

    "Sorry, I forgot to call. It was really hectic. They have a large family."

    "Yea, we know." Selena shrugged, getting over her shock and finally sitting back down. She scanned her sister, and then squealed.

    "What is it this time?" Elaine asked, raising an eyebrow.

    "YOU GOT A SWEATER! I AM SO FREAKING JEALOUS!"

    "Oh, yeah, I did." Elaine looked down at it, smiling. "We match, see?"

    "I do see this," Ryan nodded, smiling. "What's that around your neck, Lou?"

    Elaine got up to show her father, leaving George on the floor for a minute alone. He took the necklace gently in his hands and smiled sadly.

    "It's just like the one i got your mother."

    "It is?" George asked, taking Elaine's hand again.

    "Yes, almost exactly." there was a pause, before he continued happily. "Presents?"

    "You open presents before Christmas day?" George asked, looking at them.

    "Yea, because tomorrow we get presents from Santa. Though I don't think Dad got any Santa gifts for you, seeing as he didn't know you were coming," Selena explained.

    George gave Elaine a look, confused. She returned it with an 'i'll explain later' look.

    "That's okay, he can have some of mine," Elaine said. She pulled George away from the front of the tree, and then the whole Ashryver family, plus George, was sitting in a semicircle around the tree, passing out gifts.

    "Okay, Lena, you first," Ryan said. It was tradition to go youngest to oldest, quite different than at the Burrow.

    Selena opened her gifts one by one, getting a few different things that were on her wish list.

    Elaine was next, and she had George help her open half of them.

    "Thanks guys," Elaine said, putting her stuff behind her and resting her head on George's shoulder. She was really glad her father wasn't one to throw a hissy fit at unexpected plans, such as an extra guest for christmas.