Kate

Luka's POV
I've been sitting on the balcony for an hour, refusing to talk to Mari. I know I should talk to her but I can't do it. Pulling my phone out I start looking through some pictures. I'm looking for pictures of her. I find one where the two of us are in the United States, standing in front of the Statue of Liberty. I looked different then, my hair was always dyed a different color, I was always wearing a beanie, and I never wore dark clothes.

She always knew when I was feeling down, and she was always there to help. If I was having a bad day she would come over and play the guitar, cheering me up. She's the one that taught me how to play. We would spend hours singing and playing, just the two of us. When my dad left she stayed by my side for the next week, making sure I was ok. She knew when I was lonely or upset, and she was always there. So why didn't I know, and why wasn't I there for her?

Why wasn't I there for you Kate?

Marinette's POV
Luka refuses to talk to me, every time I go out to check on him he just ignores me until I leave. I'm really worried about him so I decide to try and talk to him again. As I open the trapdoor I see him looking at his phone. I'm about to climb through when he suddenly drops the phone and instead of reaching for it he covers his face. I can hear him crying, and I climb up to go hug him. "Damn it Kate, why? Why did you do it?" I can hear him ask himself. Walking over I pull him into a hug, holding him as he cries.

After awhile Luka stops crying. I continue to hold him, wanting to make him feel better. "I'm sorry Mari." He says, his voice hoarse from crying. "There's nothing to be sorry about." I say, helping him up. I pull him inside and lead him to the couch. I sit down and face him, holding his hand. "Why don't you tell me about about Kate." I say, making him sit down as well. "You want to know about Kate?" He asks, I nod my head in response. "Well she was my girlfriend when I lived in the U.S." He said. "Can I see a picture?" I ask, handing him his phone. He nods, pulling up a picture.

The picture is three people standing in front of a house. There was a tall pale girl with black and blue hair, a young girl with black and purple hair, and a boy with bleached hair. The tall girl was wearing a black cropped cami, ripped skinny jeans, combat boots, and lots of bracelets, the young girl was wearing an almost identical outfit, and the boy was wearing a grey beanie, a grey muscle tee, and a pair of jeans. "So that's you?" I ask, pointing to the boy. "Yeah, and that's Kate and Juleka." He said, pointing to the girls. "Wow you look so different." I say, pointing out the obvious.

"Tell me more about Kate." I say, curious. "Well she was really popular, and she asked me out right before a school dance. She started coming over to my house and became like an older sister to Juleka. She was a guitarist, she's the one who taught me how to play." He said, smiling at the memory. "When my dad left she stayed with us, helping me and Juleka." He explained, a sad look in his eye. "She was always there for us, no matter what. But I wasn't there for her when she needed me." He said, holding back tears.

"Her dad was an alcoholic, and every time he drank he would hit her. When I found out I called the police. They took her dad away and she came to live with us. About a week after she started living with us she told me something." Luka said, pausing. "What did she tell you?" I ask after a few seconds. "She told me she was pregnant." He said, looking down. "I was really excited, and she seemed happy. A few days later I found a bag on my bed. Inside was this jacket and one of her favorite bracelets." He said, taking off the bracelet and showing me.

"I looked through the whole house but I couldn't find her. She enjoyed going in the woods by our house, so I went and looked there. I found a note in a fort we had made. After reading the note I looked around and found her body nearby, hanging from a tree."  Luka said, staring at the bracelet in his hand. "I stayed there for days, not eating or sleeping. Nobody knew where I was until Juleka finally found me. We moved back here not long after the funeral." He said, tears falling down his face again.

Luka's POV
I look over at Mari, she had fallen asleep at her desk. Picking her up I take her to her bed. I decide to go for a walk, try and clear my head. Grabbing my phone I go downstairs and exit through the bakery. I walk out into the chilled night air, heading to the park. Sitting down I pull a piece of paper out of my phone case. It's the note that Kate had written. I look at the note, words unreadable from tear stains. I don't need to read the letter to know what it says, the words are ingrained in my head.

I'm sorry for leaving you Luka. I know you were excited for the baby, but there's something I need to tell you. The baby isn't yours. I know you probably think I cheated on you, but I didn't. It was my brother. He came to see me after they took dad away. He was really mad and he did something unforgivable. I wanted to tell you but I couldn't, he said he'd hurt you if I did. So I tried to stay positive and pretend I was ok, but I couldn't take it anymore. I wish I was strong enough to stay with you, but I'm not. I want you to tell Juleka I'm sorry. Goodbye Luka.