Engagement Party

Chris Liechen

The carriage ride took longer because of some landslide in the route.

"Sir, judging by the situation, we might be delayed for the engagement party."

Getting ready to leave I left the carriage.

"Sir?"

"You must be new. Remember this, the Liechen family is NEVER late."

I cut the horses reign and rode it through a path towards the forest, I have memorized this kingdom like the palm of my hands not even an earthquake can stop me from heading towards nt destination.

Being the heir to Duke Liechen's title I have been trained since I was a child. I showed great progress and was branded the Liechen Prodigy, genius they call of me, whispers of great wonder.

That is why this whispers and stare of awe is nothing new to me, I saw Lady Margarethe just getting out of her carriage, as poised as usual and no escort as usual.*smiles*

"Greetings Lady Margarethe."

"Good evening sir Chris."

"No escort again huh?"

She just raised her eyebrows towards me and closed her fan to walk up the stairs. *smiles*

"Wait for me, where is Little Freya?"

"She went earlier since her betrothed came to pick her up."

"Aw, do I sense someone being lonely?"

She glared at me and raised her eyebrow once again and walked faster.

*smiles* she really is the most genuine person I have ever met, you can see it in her face every emotion. People just find it hard to spot because shes a pro in keeping her dignity, but really if you just pay attention you will see every little change of her emotion without even seeing half her face, afterall her eyes says it all.

Soon Freya came with the second prince Elliot, after greeting people Freya went straight to us, specifically to Greta.

"Sister! You could have at least went with us even if we are not together in the carriage."

They 2 sisters kept on talking. The first time that I saw the Grimaldi siblings was when Freya was still a baby, it was the day of her blessing. Greta at that time was  someone who had a dead eye. Someone who felt distant, not cold but rather very distant, even thought she smiled her eyes was dead. I knew that eye so well, because I also jad the same expressionless face. The Liechen family trains the heir to be strong not showing any weakness, drinking the poison everyday to strengthen myself and immune myself was torture enpugh to kill my emotions. Somehow I felt pity for her, unlike me she seemed to have no support. Not even her parents or nanny.

The 2nd time they met it was in Criselda's birthday party, at this time suprisingly the Grimaldi was close but Greta at this time was still a bit nonchalant but when the icicle was directed towards her sister her eyes change, this was the time that I found her somehow interesting, we asked for her presence supposedly to explain about the incident and she lashed at us.

Her eyes at that time was fiery, something that you would see in the battlefield, I felt shivers then.

From then on we would encounter each other because of being Criselda's tutor and every time it seems that the frozen flower little by little melts.

Now if you hear rumors of Freya being abused by her parents and Greta isolates the child, you would definitely not believe it, but still the rumors of the Grimaldi mansion being haunted is definitely because of Margarethe.

One time I visited the Grimaldi Mansion and since I was a frequent visitor I was directed towards Greta's recieving room. Greta came in all white and her hair down, it was definitely a scene to see! She always keeps herself in front of everyone but because I kept on annoying her she might have warmed up abit?

"Greta, I heard your mother was pregnant?"

"Yes, unfortunately she is."

Not probing with her words I drank the wine in my glass.

The rumors of the Duke Grimaldi ignoring his Wife's crazy antics is everywhere.

Every month maids would either quit or be fired either by the Duchess or Greta.

And as jobless servants piled up so did the rumors, be it good or bad rumors.

"This engagement is quite boring."

I looked sideway too see Greta covering her mouth with the fan and may be unconsciously tilting towards me to hear her comment.

"Well, what do you expect from that useless crown prince."

"Puhf---..."

Finding her actions quite weird mow I looked at her more carefully, she looks a bit flushed? Holding her glass about to drink again I stopped her. She seemed ticked off by this so she held the hand with the glass with her both hands and pouted at me.

💘💘💘

I froze up.

Freya growing alarmed immediately came to aid. And quick but efficiently she bid farewells and such and left hurriedly, still holding the cup I drank from it leaving my lips upon the lipstick print left.

It was spiked.