I REMEMBER

Beth PVO
It's been a week since I woke up in here. My body is getting better and I'm becoming stronger.
Yesterday a police woman and a doctor were talking in here. I pretended to be asleep but I heard them. The doctor said I was almost ready and the sheriff said they needed me. I wonder what for since I am not planning on staying here at all. I don't feel afraid anymore. Somehow I just know we all have our days mark in this messed up... Jeez, I was going to say world but lately I feel the little of humanity remained is running out. At least a walker acts like that because they have no choice... But humans? I do believe we still have a choice, though it gets easier to blame what's happening outside to sleep with a clear conscious at night, right?
I am standing beside the window. I dreamt about him last night. I woke up wanting to cry so badly but I know Daryl doesn't want me to cry. He knows I'm stronger and I'm starting to believe that too.
I remember the dream because it wasn't a dream at all. It was a memory. After hurting my ankle, Daryl carried me. I smiled at the way he volunteered so gently. Yeah, at least in Mr. Dixon's world that was far gently. I was laughing and he was laughing too. Of course we were in disagreement about if there was nice people or not. He was slowly letting his guard down on this. I remember I saw this headstone... "Loving Father" and I just stood there. It was someone elses dad but for a moment, I pretended it was for my own. It hit me so hard. He was just gone, he was nurdered by a psycho and I doubted for a moment. What if Daryl was right and I wasn't? What if I was being naive? I just stood there completely frozen. I could only thought about how unfair my father's desd was. How frustrated I felt when Maggie and I had to stand there and watched him die. I was caught up in this hurricane of feelings but then he did it. He just took some flowers and placed them on the top of the stone. That tiny detail brought me back. If there was any nice people left, Daryl was indeed one of them. He felt my pain and stood beside me when I needed someone. I did my best not to cry. I had the most amazing man standing beside me and grieving quietly like me. I just wanted to hug him so tight but I knew he would have freaked out... So I just held his hand and he held it back. Because he needed to feel the touch of someone who was feeling like he was. Alone. We just stood there in silence and it was beautiful. Daryl gave my dad a last goodbye. And I can't think of anyone else better than him. God, I'm so grateful for that moment. Because that's when I knew... I remember now. In that moment when we were just linking hands... He meant more to me. He deserves to know this. He deserves to know how much he means to me.