Chapter 15 - Afterwards

Aria's POV

There's a beeping. A gently beeping, and everything is dark. Maybe I'm dead. I slowly open my eyes...there's a bright light in front of me. I'm dead.  Why is the thought funny to me? I feel light...so this is heaven? I didn't think I'd end up there. How's everyone else? How is my mom going to take it? Spencer?

"Aria? You're awake."

Oh my god Spencer. "Spencer." I'm giggling. "Oh my god, Spencer, how'd you get here?" Oh no. That means he's died. "You—you've died." 

"What? No?" He places a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Aria, we're in a hospital."

I'm not dead! "So neither of us are dead? I thought I died and this was some strange afterlife waiting room."

He sighs, smiling, "I knew they gave you too much in your IV, I tried telling Nurse Daniels that you would wake up confused."

"Oh, I'm on morphine," I glance at my arm, there's an IV in it, "Explains a lot." I look up at him again. "You're pretty. Like so pretty. I'm glad you were here when I woke up because your pretty face is the first one I saw and I like it because it's..." I wrinkle my nose, forgetting the word, "What's the word?"

"Pretty," he offers with a smile?

I reach over and grip his hand. "Yay, you're so smart and pretty." I whisper the next part of my sentence, "And I'm on morphine."

"Actually, I talked them into giving you Oxycodone, it's better."

"Dr. Reid, I appreciate you getting me the good stuff." I move to pull the IV out of my arm, but he stops me. "Spence, let me take this out so I can go home. I don't like hospitals."

He comfortingly rubs the back of my wrist. "Ar, you've been in a hospital for two days and you haven't complained."

I roll my eyes. "I was uncon-spiculish."

"I think you're trying to say inconspicuous, when you should be saying unconscious."

Spencer is starting to annoy me, I'd move away if it wasn't for the fact that I really liked Spencer gently tracing shapes on the back of my wrist. "You're mean to me."

"You're sensitive while on drugs."

And I'm laughing again. "Liz called it—where is she?"

"At our hotel, they made her leave when visiting hours ended, but I told the doctor that you're a witness, so I got to stay."

No amount of drugs would stop my heart from swelling. "Aw, you're so cute when you use your FBI privileges corruptly for me." 

Spencer leans towards me. "It's not abuse of power, technically you're still under my custody." I tilt my head slightly. "A lot has happened while you were in a coma. Michael got away, he didn't listen when we tried to warn him that the detonator was the real bomb, he didn't believe us, half of my team went to diffuse the bomb, the rest of us worked on getting you out, and after you ruined his deal...he swore to ruin your life, and end it."