Chapter 25 - Trust isn't Human Nature

A/n i CANNOT believe this story has over 9k views ty sm I hope you're enjoying the story  edit: I JUST SAW A TIKTOK ABT THIS STORY IM—

Aria's POV

Who would have thought that the most awkward part of being kidnapped by my sister wouldn't really involve her. The most awkward part actually involves Spencer, me, and the tiny bedroom and even tinier bed that Lana had locked us in until morning. 

"Does your head still hurt?" My voice is soft, all I want is to keep the situation peaceful. It's just so hard to talk to him because I'm still angry. Angry that he went to see Cat while I was in a life or death situation, angry that I still wanted to be close to him even though I'm aware that he doesn't feel the same way. "We're um...head injury twins now." A small stretch of silence as I let out a sigh. "No, that was weird...I regretted that instantly."

He looks up at me, eyes softening slightly. "You don't have to pretend you're not mad at me, but if you'd let me explain...it'd fix everything."

"Doubt it," I mumble, laying on the bed, closing my eyes for a second.

Spencer lays down next to me, I can feel his eyes on me but I choose to ignore it. "I'm never going to see her again. It's-It's over."

I sit up and give him a highly sarcastic look. "The woman framed you for murder and wants to or at least wanted to have your baby. I'm pretty sure it's not over."

He sits up and cautiously moves to brush some hair out of my face. I don't move away, and I can tell that he's expecting me to. "I did something, and now it's over. I promise."

There's no hint of uncertainty or doubt in his eyes. "You really believe that."

"Trust me."

The way he's looking at me is so pleading and innocent. I place my hand over his. "Okay, Spence,  I'll trust you:" I move his hand off my cheek and kiss the back of his palm. "If for no other reason then just wanting it to be true, I'll trust you." I squeeze his hand gently. "I've just been in a lot of situations in which trust got me in trouble, but that's not you Spencer—at least you didn't lie about it."

Spencer is a good guy. I need to internalize that. I don't have to be happy about the text messages and the secret keeping and the fact that he refuses to tell me why he's so sure it's over, but I need to acknowledge that some of my anger is just rooted in insecurity. And for what it's worth, he did show up when he needed to...and he hasn't blamed me about the whole currently hostages thing.

"Can things go back to normal?"

In an attempt to protect myself from being swayed by his gaze, I turn to look at the wall. "I have a stipulation."

"Stipulation?"

Deciding that it's safe to look at him again, I turn my head and nod. "We can go back to normal, but after we get out of this situation we need to talk about it. It's not going to be an interrogation, I'm not going to force you to answer a bunch of questions, I just think I need closure."