Chapter 27 - Schrödinger's Relationship

Guys!! I finally started a Spencer x reader insert story so if you're interested in that check it out :)

Also I cannot believe this story has over 12k views thank you sm!!

Narrator's POV

Spencer had spent the last minute begging Lana to pull Aria upwards. She had fallen into the water face first, and Lana was holding her there, crying and screaming at Spencer to answer the question so that she could pull her sister up.

"You're killing her!" She choked, turning her body, making it more difficult to hold Aria down. "Answer the question!"

"I don't know." Spencer's three least favorite words had never made him feel so truly scared. "I don't know! I don't know how she actually feels about me—please Lana, you're going to kill her, she needs air."

"FBI, open up!" Spencer jumps at the sound of Morgan's voice. There's a brief moment where he wonders if each victim they find feel the same relief and fear when they hear the team coming. Morgan kicks back the door, Spencer doesn't react to the sound. "Pretty boy, you're—"

"Fine, we need to help—" 

Morgan trains his gun on Lana, who is hysterically gripping her sister's hair. "Lana Reyes you're under arrest."

"No!" She shouts, holding up one of the two guns at her disposal, "She's my sister, she's mine or no one's."

The gravity of the situation becomes apparent to Morgan who had been so focused on Reid, he didn't realize that Aria was also in the bathroom. He shoots Lana in the arm, she drops the gun and screams in pain. When she moves her other hand to the wound, she releases Aria. "We need a medic," Morgan speaks into his ear piece. 

Reid runs over to the tub, moving to hold Aria's head up.

"Reid?" He doesn't respond, instead he opts for leaning over the tub, trying to hoist Aria out. "Let me—let me help."

After the two of them manage to move Aria onto the wood floor, Morgan focuses on handcuffing Lana and bringing her back to the rest of the team while also searching for a medic. Spencer can't bring himself to move. Aria's chest isn't rising. Not rising means not breathing. On instinct he moves to hover over her, pressing down on her chest steadily before opening her mouth and trying to blow air into her lungs. 

It was strange, how different kissing her and giving her CPR is—kissing her made him feel present, even though he did all in his power to not start seeing Aria as some kind of solution. But that ship sailed around the same time kissing her started to feel like returning to earth. He tried not to think that trying to blow air into her lungs again would be his last time experiencing anything remotely similar. He tried not to think about how the guilt would permanently reside in his heart if she had actually died, just about four feet away from Spencer. He tried not to let himself crack, because his emotions would then become overwhelming and he wouldn't be able to focus. He tried to do a lot of things that he ultimately failed at.

"You're too stubborn for this," he pleaded, his hands shaking as he attempted to consistently press down on her chest. "Aria, please, you can't—you can't do this." He opened her mouth, starting the second part of the process. "Don't...don't—" What's the CPR tempo again? He has an IQ of 187, and his head is starting to feel like sludge...like he can feel the IQ  points leak out of his ears like bathtub water leaked into Aria's lungs. "If you, if you wake up I'll stop pretending like you can't get away with anything you want. Because you can, you can, Ar." Spencer can't tell if his face is stained with tears or water. "You've always been able to because it's always been you." The realization hit hard enough to knock a sob out of his chest.