Whatever happens

The next day, I wake up. I look at Collin, he's sleeping on the edge of the bed, giving me his back. I stay a couple of minutes looking at him.

You are not in danger. . . You are safe. . . you are with me. I'll always protect you, no matter what or who. . .

I stand up and walk to the closet. I grab my chef suit and other clothes and make my work-bag. Then I change of clothes and walk into the kitchen. I grab a couple of fruits and enter back to my room. I kneel in front of Collin.

He's deep sleep. . . He is not even raising his ears. . . He seems tired. . . You cried? . . .

I lean in and give him a small kiss on his forehead, "Stay with me. . ." I whisper softly. Then I grab my bag and leave the house. I enter into my truck and drive to the restaurant. Then work, cooking, maken desserts, then soups, then desserts, then a cassoulet, then desserts again. I look at the clock, 2:57, I walk into the back of the restaurant and change of clothes. Then I start walking into the exit. "Will, wait" I hear behind me.

I turn around, "Yup" .  It's one of the restaurant managers, I really don't remember his name, actually, I only talked with him once "Listen, the government is crazy about the alien things and they closed some stores of the city. Badly, we are one of them. We have a week out then, if the government don't close another week more". I turn around, "Got it" Then I leave.

I drive into the workshop. I park my car but I stay inside "I can't leave Collin alone" I say to myself, before driving back home. I enter into my house and close the door behind me, "Collin I'm home!" I say to the empty room. I leave my bag in one side and walk into my bedroom. He's still lie on the bed.

I sit on bed looking at him, "Hey, What's wrong?" I ask. "Something's not right. . . I don't belong here. . ." He replies turning around giving me his back. I stand up "C'mon, be happy" I grab the tennis ball from the shopping bag and throw it to him. The ball hit his back. "Ouch. . ." He says but he didn't move.

I sigh and lie next to him. We stay in quiet for a few minutes, then he starts crying. I get a little closer to him and rest my hand on his back, but he just turns around to hug me. I hug him too, tightly, resting my chin on his head.

Then I separate and stand up. I grab his hand and pull him out of the bed. I pull him into the kitchen and give him the bag of marshmallows. I grab his hand and pull him outside of the house.

I put the firewood in a special zone I have for make campfires, and light it on. I sit on a thick tree trunk that was lied on the ground. Collin sits next to me and, slowly, gives me the marshmallows. I put the bag in one side and look at the fire. "Listen, You will be ok because I'm going to protect you from whatever happens" . "I know. . . that's why you would be in danger" He say looking at the ground, with his ears lowered and resting his head on my shoulder. "I don't care. Like I told you before, I just want to do something for someone" Then I let a sigh.

He holds my hand looking at me "Thank you, Will. . .". Then he rests his head back on my shoulder. And there was nothing else to say. We stay quiet, hearing the wood cracking by the fire, hearing some crickets around, hearing the peace of the forest. Holding softly our hands.