Promised Is Promised

Phil's POV

Weeks have passed since we started dating and Dan slowly got his memory back.

Sometimes I would need to check on him, when he was crying silently in his room because a sad memory appeared. But sometimes he would bounce into my room chirping and telling me what new thing he remembers now.

That night I heard silent screams from the other room. Dan decided to sleep on his own this night because he thought he needed his space. I was totally fine with that.

But as I heard those screams and cries, I went over to find him still sleeping. He must be dreaming. I wanted to wake him up from his bad dream, but I didn't know if it would make it worse.

After 2 minutes of overthinking, I decided to wake him up.

"Dan wake up", I whispered as I stroked his cheek.

He opened his eyes in a rush, water running down his eyes.

"Sh sh it's okay Dan, you were dreaming, nothing of this will happen, I promise", I tried to reassure him.

"No it won't", he said. "Because it happened already", he finished.

He must have remembered something bad, so I sat on his bed beside him and started playing with his hair.

"Whatever it was, I'll protect you from it to happen again", I said, still playing with the strands of his hair.

"It... I... The train", he said, tears streaming down his face. "I saw it, I saw the train", he said.

"What happened?", I asked him curiously.

"I wrote you a letter and then I left and then there was the train station and this train and it came closer and I didn't want to move and it almost hit me but then you woke me up", he said, crying even more than before.

I remember that letter. He wrote it before he went to the train station, I found it after I got home after all that happened.

I clearly remember his words.

Dear Phil,
I know I should be out of here already, but I just didn't want to go without saying goodbye to you.
I'm sorry I probably didn't bear to come back.
Or, no I shouldn't be sorry, you don't even want to see me here anymore.
I'm sure you're pleased to hear that I won't come back then.
Don't stop me. You probably are not even planning in the first place, but please don't stop me.
Do you actually know how empty a world without you would be?
Phil I'm sorry to bother you with this, I really am, but I guess what I'm trying to say is.... goodbye.
Goodbye Phil, I will always remember the things we did. They will always be on my mind. I promise.
Love, Dan

He lied. He didn't keep them in mind for 2 years. But that doesn't even make me mad. He didn't tell me how I could stop him, what he was going to do and worst of all he didn't give me a chance to save him. I'm not mad at him, I'm sad because everything of that happened.

Dan woke me up from my daydream.

"Phil? Everything fine?", he asked worried, even if I should be the one being worried here.

"Yeah am fine", I murmured.

"Can you promise me something?"

"Sure", he replied as if he was willing to do everything.

"Don't promise me things when you're not sure of keeping them", I told him.

"I promise", he said.
Promises can't get broken.