Hidden Letters

Dan’s POV

I promised Phil to take my promises serious. He seems like he doesn’t want me to break one. I understand him, sure, but why was he so eager about this? Was this because of me? What did I...

Then it hit me.

The letter.

I wrote him this letter once, there I must have written things that I promised but didn’t keep. I don’t remember what I wrote, but I need to know, I just need to.

“Phil?”, I asked him with my puppy eyes when I walked through the living room door.

“Yeah bear?”, he asked in reply.

I knew I wrote him letters when we were little and I was pretty sure he kept them somewhere, and I hoped to find my goodbye letter there too.

“Do you still have my old letters?” He nodded.

“Sure I do, Dan”, he smiled.

“Can you tell me where they are? I want to look at some and you know old memories and stuff?”, I chuckled out.

“Yeah sure, they’re under my bed”, he replied. After that he concentrated on his game again. I was wondering why he didn’t question me, but that might have been just because he was busy playing video games. So good for me then.

I went to his room and looked under his bed to find a box saying Letters From Him and attached to that was a little heart. It looked like his handwriting back in the days.

Does that mean he loved me ever since primary school? And I never noticed? Wow, how blind was I?

I got the box from under the bed to of his bed. Then I went into my room with it, in case the letter is in there and Phil catches me reading it.

I opened the box slowly. I was right. I found it, I found my goodbye letter. I didn’t read it, I couldn’t bear yet. I just looked at it and noticed how wet it is from either of our tears. I can’t remember if I cried while writing this or Phil cried while reading this, but all of that was no question anymore when...

Blood stains.

There were blood stains on the letter and I know for sure they are not from me.

Phil why?

Some tears found their way down my cheeks.

After I pulled myself together, I decided not to be a coward and read the letter, so I did. I found the part that Phil was call attention to. I promised him to keep our memories in mind forever, and I obviously did not for a good amount of time. But at least my promise was as strong that the memories came back, right? He can’t say I didn’t even try keeping my promise I didn’t even know I gave.

I decided to read some of the other letters as well, in case he will ask me what cute things we wrote back then.

After I finished, I put all the letters back in the box, closed it and brought it back to Phil’s room and under his bed. I went into the living room again.

But Phil was not here. I went to the sofa where he was sitting earlier. All I found was a letter. Dear Dan was written on it. I was too afraid to open it, but too worried not to, so I practically ripped it open. The words in there broke me. I broke down crying. He promised.