PILOT

//

//

Peter Harmon vividly remembers the day that his family moved to California for a fresh start.

The reason was...his family was broken.

His mother, Vivien, was pregnant with a seven-month-old boy but had a miscarriage. Peter was devastated because all he's been asking for since he was a kid was a little brother he could teach new things. And to have that all come crashing down in just a moment was the worst.

The situation at home got worse and much tenser when Peter's father, Ben, had cheated on his wife with one of his psychiatrist students.

And the worst part was...Peter met that student multiple times and actually got along well with her, Hayden. Despite the age difference, Peter enjoyed Hayden's sarcastic humor and attitude. She made him laugh.

He knew he should've seen it because she came over to their house to 'talk' to Ben or for 'private lessons'.

When his mother told her two children what Ben had done, Peter felt angered and betrayed by his own father and his so-called 'friend'.

Peter's twin sister, Violet, she took it harder than him even though she tried not to show it. She began to self-harm again (despite that Peter made her promise not to do it anymore), she began to fail in school and eventually, starve herself.

Peter himself, he tried to be strong for his mom, his sister, and even though he was disgusted at his dad for his actions, him too. But it slowly affected him. He didn't eat much, just picked at his food, and stayed silent a lot more often but he never once raged at anyone. He just pushed it down and tried not to let it bother him.

As Peter looks back at these problems now, they seemed so small and unimportant compared to everything that's been happening in the present.

Peter had his head leaned against the car window, his eyes barely watching the cars on the freeway they passed by since he was still drowsy from the long nap he took in the car ride. All he did was stuff his earbuds in his ears, turned his iPod music to max volume, and slowly fell asleep.

When he woke up, Ben was driving through Los Angeles, California getting closer to their potential new home.

He removed his earbuds as Vivien spoke, "The light is different out here. It's softer."

"It's called smog," Violet snidely replied which caused Peter to chuckle quietly.

"You should be excited, Vi," Ben told her. "You can stop sneaking cigarettes and just start taking deep breaths."