SMOLDERING CHILDREN

//

//

A few days later, Violet still wouldn't talk to Peter to which Tate would often stay by his side to bring him comfort.

Later in the day, Peter sat on his bedroom floor, lying on his stomach as he doodled on some notebook paper and had the music on his iPod turned up to max volume.

A knock on his door made him look up. "Peter," Ben called. "I need to talk to you."

Peter turned off the music and sat up. "Dad, can we talk another time? I don't feel so good," he told him.

"Can I come in, please?" Ben asked.

Peter stood up with a sigh before approaching his door, unlocking it and pulling it open to which Ben entered as Peter sat back on his bed. "Is this about school?" Peter asked, fidgeting with his phone.

"Yes. It's about school," Ben answered.

"If you want to give me the parent drill, 'cause it's going to make you feel better than go at it," Peter replied.

Ben sat across from him. "Why would it make me feel better?"

"Because..." Peter began. "I know it's important to you to be a good father."

"Only if I've been a good father. And I've been a lousy father lately."

"Dad, come on-" Peter began.

"I owe you an apology," Ben told him.

Peter's mouth went slightly agape. "Is this some headshrinker trick to make me feel sorry for you?"

"I can't imagine what this year's been like for you," Ben continued. "Moving and starting a new school and all the craziness that happened to us here." Ben slightly smiled. "Hey, remember last year when you announced you were going to Yale and Violet was going to Harvard?"

Peter lightly chuckled, he did remember that. "You know we only said that to make you happy, right?"

"I knew that," Ben answered. "I also knew that you were smart and you guys can go anywhere you want for college."

But Peter couldn't. Not anymore...

Ben scooted closer to his son. "Come on, Peter. What are you doing? This isn't like you."

A tear fell from Peter's eyes to which he quickly wiped away. Before he would've agreed to go just to make Ben happy. He can't do anything now, he felt useless.