Prologue

163 AG

I let out a sigh as I watched my father talk to Tenzin and Pema. My father was having to leave for business and he wanted me to go to Republic City with Tenzin and his family. My father soon turned to look at me and sent me a small smile, before leading me inside.

"Father why can't I just stay here?" I asked as he packed my bag.

"Because I want you to get out and spend time with your family."

"I spend time with you and GranGran."

"Akari, you need to get out and see the world... and you can't push your family away."

I looked at the ground and he let out a sigh and turned to look at me.

"I miss him too." He said softly.

"I wish Pa was here." I whispered.

"I know. I do too, but he wouldn't want us to stop living our lives." He said as he gently squeezed my shoulder.

I nodded my head and he went back to packing. I watched his every move, up until it was time to go. We made it to Tenzin's bison and Tenzin helped me up.

"Keep my girl safe." Father said as he looked up at me.

"Don't worry, Bumi is staying with me." Tenzin said with a chuckle.

My father nodded his head and sent me one more smile before moving away from the bison. When we arrived at the temple I saw Bumi waiting.

"Akari!" Bumi exclaimed as he ran up and helped me down.

I let out a laugh as he spun me around and pulled me into a hug.

"Oh how I missed you!" He yelled.

He held me tightly and carried me inside. I let out a laugh an shook my head as he put me down.

"Bumi, you better keep her out of trouble!" Tenzin yelled.

"I wouldn't dream of getting my favorite cousin in trouble!" Bumi yelled as we walked away.

We spent the rest of the day throwing water balloons at people. It wasn't until we hit my mother that we got caught and Tenzin was told.

"I'm sorry Lin." Tenzin said as she glared at him.

"Keep her out of the city." Lin growled as she turned and walked away.

Tenzin let out a sigh and turned and looked at Bumi.

"What? It was an accident." Bumi said as he shrugged his shoulders.

"You and I both know how Lin feels about Akari being here."

"Yea well she should want her daughter near her." Bumi said with a frown.

"Bumi-"

"What? You know I'm right! I mean what type of mother doesn't want to be in her daughter's life!" Bumi yelled.

I looked at the ground, and heard Tenzin snap at him. I quickly snuck away while Tenzin yelled at Bumi. I soon stopped walking and let out a sigh as I made it to the fountain. I pulled my knees to my chest and laid my head on them. I heard footsteps and turned my head to see Tenzin's three year old.

"Hi." She said as she set beside me.

"What are you doing out here? You will catch a cold." I said with a frown.

She set beside me and I took my coat off and put it around her.

"Thank you." She said as she leaned against me.

"Jinora right?"

She nodded her head and looked up into the sky.

"You must be excited about your mother being pregnant." I said softly.

"Not really."

"Why not?" I asked softly.

"I'm afraid daddy and mommy will like the new baby more."

"Not possible. Your dad will always love you guys no the same no matter what."

"How do you know?"

"Because even though he isn't my father, he treats me just like I am... so there is no way he would treat you different.. that and Auntie Katara would beat him." I said with a laugh.

She sent me a smile and then pulled her knees to her chest.

"So why are you out here alone?" She asked after awhile.

"I like the peace and quiet... it makes me feel safe." I said softly.

"I know how you feel." She said as she snuggled int my side.

I shook my head and smiled as I put an arm around her. She soon fell asleep and I gently picked her up and carried her to her room. I laid her down and pulled her cover over her.

"Get some sleep, you have a big life ahead of you." I whispered as I turned and left the room.