Chapter 5 "Air Temple"

I decided to not tell Korra about the banishment and allow Tonraq to tell her. I let out a sigh as I made my way to Tenzin and the others with my bag.

"I thought you would be staying." Pema said softly.

"I don't really feel welcomed here." I said softly.

"I'm sure that isn't true." She said as she climbed up.

"Yea." I said as I let out a sigh.

Tenzin walked up to us and sent me a small smile.

"We will always welcome you coming with us. Besides maybe I can finally have time to train you." Tenzin said as he patted my shoulder.

"Yea." I said softly.

I started to help him load everything up when I heard someone speak behind me.

"I think you forgot a couple of things." A voice said softly.

I turned to see Katara with Bumi and Kya and smiled softly.

"Mother, I think I need some time alone with my family right now." Tenzin said as he threw up a sack and I caught it.

"This is your family, Tenzin. When you get to be my age, you'll be thankful for the time you had with your siblings. Besides, I think it's important that you all visit your father's home together." Katara said softly.

"Come on! It'll be fun." Bumi said as he wrapped an arm around Tenzin's neck.

"I'm dying to see that laid back, Vacation Tenzin I've heard so much about." Kya said with a laugh.

"All right, hop on! I love you, Mom." Tenzin said as he hugged Katara.

Katara pulled away from him and turned to look at me. She pulled a bag out and walked up to me.

"Sokka asked me to give you this before he died. Told me to give it to you when you needed it most." She said as she handed the bag to me.

"Thank you." I said softly.

I held the bag tightly and felt something inside. She sent me a look and I slowly opened it to see his boomerang. I felt tears stream down my face and held it against my chest.

"Always remember that Sokka loved you." She said softly.

I leaned down and hugged her and she held me tightly.

"Know that no matter whose blood flows through you... you are family." She whispered.

I pulled away and put the boomerang back in the bag.

I climbed onto the bison and let out a laugh as Bumi struggled to get on. Tenzin quickly used his airbending to help him up.

"We'll see you soon!" Tenzin yelled as we waved to Katara.

"There it is, the Southern Air Temple. Isn't it magnificent?" Tenzin said as we arrived.

It was beautiful and my eyes went wide upon seeing it.

"Wow... Aang lived here?" I asked shocked.

"Yes, and I know he would be thrilled to know I get to bring his great niece here and teach her how to air bend." He said with a smile.

"Yea, his great niece." I said sadly.

We soon landed and I let out a sigh as I climbed off of Oogi.

"Master Tenzin, welcome!" A man exclaimed as he walked up to us.

"Good to see you again, Abbot Shung." Tenzin said as he bowed his head.

"Is there anything you need? Water? Dandelion greens? Ahh, perhaps you'd like to recenter yourself by meditating in the gardens?"

"No thank you, I'm fine." Tenzin said softly.

"And you must be the honorable Pema! Please, accept these gifts." Shung exclaimed.

He handed Tenzin something and I held back a laugh.

"This is an ancient airbender head shaver we've refurbished just for you." He said happily.

"Oh. Okay?" Tenzin said as he looked at it.

"And Pema! These flowers once filled the mountainside! Now, they can brighten up your room." He said as he handed her a bouquet of flowers.

"That's ... sweet? Y-you didn't have to." She said as she tried to hold them.

"Nonsense! Whatever you need is yours. Anything for the mother of the next generation of airbenders."

I took the bouquet from her and she silently thanked me.

"No! That gift is mine!" Ikki exclaimed as she grabbed the book from Jinora.

"You don't even like to read!" Jinora yelled.

Ikki stuck her tongue out and I shook my head.

"Yep, those are the world's next generation of airbenders." Pema said softly.

"And who is this? Another one of your children?" He asked looking at me.

"This is my cousin's, she is an airbender like me." Tenzin said happily.

"Amazing! I didn't know Aang had siblings."

"Actually... She is my mother's brother's great granddaughter." Tenzin said softly.

"Oh and she is an airbender... amazing." He said looking at me shocked.

"Yea, amazing." I said as I looked away.

"S'cuse me, a little help here?" Bumi asked as he struggled with the bags.

"Sorry, I thought you were the servants." The acolyte woman said softly.

"We're Tenzin's brother and sister!"

"Avatar Aang had other children? The world is filled with more airbenders?" The woman said happily.

"We're not airbenders." Kya said with a frown.

"Oh ... I'm so sorry." She said as she bowed her head.

Bumi and Kya both had a pout on their faces as they glanced at each other.

"Here let me help you, Bumi." I said as I took a bag from him.

"Thanks Kari, you are the best." He said as I slung it over my shoulder.

"Of course I am." I said with a laugh.

I helped them carry everything inside and let out a sigh as I plopped down on my bed. I pulled the boomerang out and bit my lip.

"Pa... did you know?" I asked in a whisper as I held it close to my heart.