Chapter 13 "Revealing"

I let out a sigh as I walked beside Korra and we made it back to the tribe. I stopped when I saw my father talking to Tonraq and Lin. Tonraq saw me and nudged my father. Both my father and Lin turned and I saw my father's eyes go wide upon seeing me. I walked away from Korra and walked up to them.

"Sorry for hitting you." I said looking at Tonraq.

"It's alright, I understand. I'll give you three some time." Tonraq said before he turned and left to talk to Korra.

I watched him go up to Korra and smiled softly when he pulled her into a hug. I then let out a sigh and turned to look at Koda and Lin.

"Akari-"

"I'm not your daughter... am I?" I asked cutting Koda off.

"Not by blood no, but in every other way you are." He said softly.

"Why did you both lie? Why not just tell me the truth?" I asked as I held my anger back.

"Because we didn't want to hurt you." Lin explained.

I could tell Lin hated this. Hated that I had learned the truth and hated that she had to lie to me.

"I... I'm not your daughter.... am I?" I asked softly.

She looked away, silently giving me my answer, and Koda let out a sigh.

"That's the only answer I need." I said softly.

"I'm sorry." Lin said softly.

Apart of me was relieved to know that my biological mother wasn't Lin and that Lin didn't hate me because she was ashamed of me. But the other part of me was sad and angry that they had lied about who I was for so long.

"Who all knew?" I asked as I looked away from them.

"Katara, your grandparents... and Harmony." Lin said softly.

"Tenzin?"

"He was never told." Koda said softly.

"Who are my real parents?" I asked looking up at them.

"We don't know." Koda said softly.

"How do you not know?" I asked as I looked at him shocked.

"Akari, when we found you, you were only three and you were alone in a house, Unalaq led us to the house... we waited to see if your parents would return, but no one came. After a few weeks with no one claiming you... I decided to take you in." He explained.

"Why lie about being my mother?" I asked as I looked at Lin.

Lin looked away again and Koda quickly stepped up.

"I didn't want anyone questioning your claim as Chief... I'm so sorry." Koda explained.

I looked away and crossed my arms over my chest.

"How am I a airbender?" I asked after awhile.

"I don't know." Koda said with a frown.

"Is there anything you do know?" I asked with a frown.

"A year after we found you a letter was dropped off, from your mother... I at first called you Yue, but the letter said your name was Akari an..... well it gave a little bit of details about your parents." He said as he let out a sigh.

"Look, I wanted to tell you the truth, but after learning about your parent's lives... we decided against it." Lin explained.

"What did you learn?" I asked as I looked at Koda.

"I'm sorry, but... for your safety... we can't tell you." He said softly.

"But-"

"No buts. We both swore you would never be told anything we knew about them and we aren't breaking that promise." Lin said sternly.

Lin let out a sigh and excused herself when she heard Tonraq call her name. I looked at Koda and he crossed his arms over his chest.

"So what now?" I asked with a frown.

"I will be stepping down from Chief after today." He said softly.

"Why? Who would take your place?"

"Tonraq, I think he would be better suited then me and I want to give Hanna and Lao a quieter life." He explained.

I nodded my head and he let out a sigh.

"Akari, you are still my daughter. Even thought we aren't blood, I still love you." He said softly.

"I... I'm sorry Koda, but.. I don't know if I'll ever be able to forgive you." I said as I turned and walked away from him.

I made my way to the hut and smiled as I saw Jinora.

"Thank the spirits!" I exclaimed as I pulled her into a hug.

She let out a laugh and hugged me back.

"I thought we lost you." I whispered.

"I thought I lost you. When Unalaq told me what Vaatu wanted you for... I was so scared." She said as she pulled away.

"You should know by now, I'm to stubborn to allow a spirit to control my life." I said with a laugh.

She hugged me once more and I smiled softly. We soon returned to Republic City and Korra decided to give a speech.

"The war of the Water Tribes is over. Unalaq has been defeated, and the Northern fleet is returning home. The Water Tribes will always be allies, but the Southern Tribe is now independent, and the Southern Council of Elders has appointed my father, Tonraq, to be your new chief!" Korra exclaimed.

Tonraq walked up and I smiled as everyone cheered for him. I clapped and let out a small cheer as he bowed his head.

"I've realized that even though we should learn from those who came before us, we must also forge our own path. So that is why I've decided to keep the portals open. Humans can now physically enter the Spirit World, and spirits will be free to roam our world. I will no longer be the bridge. Humans and spirits must learn to live together. My mission will always be to use Raava's light spirit to guide the world toward peace and balance. Harmonic Convergence has caused a shift in the planet's energy. I can feel it. Things will never be the same again. We're entering a New Age." Korra said as she sent me a smile.

I nodded my head and turned to look at everyone. I soon felt a hand grab mine and turned my head to see Jinora. She gently squeezed my hand and I sent her a gentle smile as I wrapped an arm around her and hugged her tightly.

We soon made our way to the temple and I watched Jinora leave to play with her siblings.

"Koda told us everything." A voice said from behind me.

I turned and smiled as I saw Bumi. I felt tears stream down my face and I quickly ran and hugged him. His arms wrapped tightly around me and he let out a sigh.

"I don't know who I am... I.. I feel so alone."

"Well I know who you are. You are Akari, the best friend to the avatar, my favorite person in the world, and the strongest person alive." He said as he held me tightly.