5

Juliana Thorne

"Hey, uh, you didn't mention a boyfriend did you?" Parker taps my shoulder as I was about to get in my car.

I shake my head, a little confused. "Well, would you like to go on a date sometime?" He asks, hopeful.

I was surprised, "Oh uh well I don't know-"

"Your little ones can come as well, I really like children. I can take you guys to chuckee cheese or wherever they like." He says.

I blush, that's really sweet of him to think of Rome and Milana as well. "As much as I love them, I'd rather not go on a date with them. They're wild." I laugh.

He chuckles and nods, "Okay I'll take you somewhere nice for our date, how about I text you?"

"Yea" I smile and hand him my phone to put his number in.

-

Giana turns up the radio and we sing and throw our hands up inside the car. "We both got dates!" She screams happily. "Ooh stop right there! We can get treats for the kids." She points to a little bakery.

I park right in front of it and we get off. I rub my arms up and down to get rid of the cold. Giana does the same until we enter the little bakery that smells delicious as soon as we enter.

A man with a red mustache smiles and greets us. "Hi can I get that chocolate chip cookie, and that sprinkled one too please," I say.

"I'll have a slice of that pink sprinkled cake please," Giana says.

"Of course, how are you ladies tonight?" He asks while getting us our orders.

Giana and I look at each other and laugh, "We are great, how about you?" I ask.

"I'm also doing good, thank you. And have a nice night ladies, stay safe." He says and for some reason, as he says the last thing, he stares hard at me and looks down to my hand.

I slightly smile and nod as we grab our desserts. We walk out and I can't help but look around as we climb back in my car.

"Aww he was nice, wasn't he? I love old people, but sometimes they get all grumpy with me. Especially these old ladies that I do hair for." She scowls.

I nod and start the engine again but I can't stop thinking about how that man looked at my hand. Almost like he was searching for something on my finger, like a ring.

"Hey, are you okay?" Giana asks

I really shouldn't get distracted while driving, I don't even remember driving passed the two lights before. I side glance her, "yea I'm fine, sorry"

She smiles and nods then goes on her phone but then she gasps, "Oh did I show you? I totally found this hot guy while scrolling through my feed. Look.."

I pull into my mom's driveway and turn the engine off. Giana shows me her phone with a big grin. I look at what she's showing me and my eyes bulge out.

"He murdered a bunch of people, though and even kidnapped a girl before. Can you believe that?" she scrolls down, "I wonder why? Was she his girlfriend or something or who was she?" she asks curiously.

"uh, I don't really know but-"

"Maybe it says it in here!" she says and quickly scrolls down to more information in the article.

I stare at her phone anxiously waiting for her to find out about me. This is it, I thought, she's not gonna be your friend anymore as soon as she finds out. But suddenly, a few taps on the window made us screech and turn immediately.

"Hi girls how was it?!" my mom smiles out of the driver's window.

We put our hands on our chest, relieved, and laugh. We open our doors and unbuckle our seat belts to get out.

"it was really fun, and we both got dates!" Giana squeals excitedly.

"Of course you did, you both are very beautiful." my mom grins.

We laugh, "Well I better get going, I'll see you guys another day. Bye, love you and the twins!" Giana hugs us and kisses our cheeks.

My mom grabs my waist and leads me inside the house. "I bet you had fun." She says. I nod, taking my shoes and purse off.

"You should continue to have fun, you deserve it after all." She goes on.

"Yea but I feel bad for leaving my babies. I need to take care of them." I say

"Honey, I'm happy to take care of them for you. You should go have fun with your friends, you couldn't do that when you should've been," she says

"Thanks, I'm really tired now, goodnight I love you." I kiss her cheek.

"goodnight love you too!" she says.

I go up to bed and lay in between Milana and Rome. I grab my phone and click on Google, should I? I purse my lips and sigh as I lower my phone.

Does it say my name in the article? I bring my phone up to my face again and search for Jaxon King. Tons of articles about him show up.

"wow" I mumble.

I click on the first one and the first word I see is murderer. I scroll down and read about how he murdered thousands of people and he was in the mafia. Then it says how he rules Italy.

According to this newswoman that went to Italy to get some information about him, "Nobody dared to say anything in fear of him." I scroll down.

My breath hitches as I see the word kidnap. "A young girl kidnapped for a year by this mafia leader, Jaxon King. We don't know why he did it but, we're guessing an infatuation. The cops and her family tried to find them but he was smart and relocated every time he thought they were close, he also kept the girl locked up."

Bad memories flash in my mind and I shudder. "The police officers refused to let out any information about the girl, so we don't know who she is or how she looks like." I sigh in relief.

The last paragraph talks about the Jail he was kept in and he was supposed to stay in there for life but they let him out for 'good behavior'. "I think the prison should have kept him in a high-security place and he should stay in there for all the lives he took. Imagine how the girl he kidnapped feels? She is probably scared and disappointed that he is out. Bless her heart, I hope she is doing better."

I lower my phone and look up at the white ceiling. I wipe my tears and hold on to Milana and Rome.

~~

May 31, 2020
2:05 am