17.

On sunday I hang at home in my room. Hiding away from my wretched mother. Everything I did, everything I ate, every breath I took she commented on. She judged. It was just easier to spend the weekend in my room, watching love island, practicing makeup. Than going to see her. 

Monday rolls around and I set my alarm slightly earlier because it's Ivy week. Meaning each day we dress up as a theme, to try distract our minds from the news we could receive any time this week.

My school kind of puts it on to distract the seniors from the stresses of whether or not we got into our desired college.

I facetime Bea as I sift through my closet showing her my options. The theme today is Nerd day.

I end up going with a yellow plaid skirt, with a black crop top in and a pair of reading glasses I should wear more often but I forget to. 

Bea put on a blue plaid skirt with high-knee socks and a white tee.

I make my way downstairs quickly towards the sounds of the coffee machine going

I make my way downstairs quickly towards the sounds of the coffee machine going. You could honestly call me anywhere with the smell or sound of coffee.

"Morning munch." My dad says kissing my forehead and handing me a ready made iced coffee before he turns back to the coffee machine.

"Morning dad." I reply taking it into my hands gratefully.

"What are you wearing?" Leroy asks his face contorted as he peers up, from his laptop, which is placed on the dining room table.

"Ivy week." Molly says tiredly from the table. Looking like she was dragged out of bed by her hair.

"It's nerd day." I answer him taking a sip of my coffee. Leaning against the counter as I watch the pretty colours of my nearly mixed coffee.

"That skirt is ugly." Leroy says, nodding down to it.

"Wow. Thanks Leroy. Really appreciate it." I reply giving him a look.

"Morning beautiful people." Jacob says walking in to the room, his hair damp from the shower.

"Morning Jacob, and Leroy leave your sister alone." Dad says, giving Leroy a look. 

My dad is really good about that sort of thing. He allows me to express myself however I want. 

He had taught me not to care too much about clothing. And he had taught me how to defend myself with the dusty old boxing bag in our garage. It was important to him that I be able to express myself however I choose, and for his own piece of mind, that if it came down to it, I could defend myself. Because even though it's unfair, us women have to protect ourselves.

I place my glass into the sink after rinsing it out. Wiping my hands on the tea towel I check my reflection in the microwave. Before I begin to check the bowl of keys for my car keys.

I open my mouth to ask if anyone has seen my keys, because I remember putting them in the bowl, before I'm interrupted.

"I took your car to the shop yesterday." Leroy states, watching my confused face.