Ignite

You

If I could describe death, I would say it's warm and scaly.

Yeah, that's the one.

A groan left my lips as my eyes readjusted to the dark, dimly-lit cavern as my tongue screamed with saltiness of salt water.

I could feel my hair wet and rough since I was drenched with salt water. God, I'll never see the sea the same way again.

In my blurry vision, I see two burning orbs in front of me as I regained my consciousness. Funny thing was, what's with the deep rumble?

And there it was.

A monstrosity covered in thick scales and armed with sharp sword-like teeth with two majestic wingspans.

What I saw as two burning orbs were actually its glowing, burning eyes. The colour as the same shade of gold in my orbs.

I was kept under, more of protected, under one of its strong wings as I felt a feeling deep in my throat, almost too close to my chest.

Fear.

I hated fear. I always despised it the moment I cut myself when I was just hardly a weak 3 year old, running through the halls carelessly.

But this...this was no ordinary 'monster-under-your-bed' type of fear. It was a fear for a powerful creature that could just burn me to ashes in a blink of an eye.

"Υψηλότατε"

My head snapped up to the ceiling of the cavern as I heard a voice. It was fazed, as if the voice whispered through my ear from another dimension.

The fact that it called out 'Your Highness' in Greek made my 5 senses focus on full radar. Deep down, I hoped what I heard was real and not a sign that I was going nuts.

"ποιος είσαι?" Who are you.

My voice echoed through the cave as the dragon shifted its wings, gently folding it against its back.

It was beautiful. Its scales were the colour of its eyes, shimmering under the moonlight that peeked through a gap through the roof of the dark cavern.

I watched as its head lowered towards the ground as it stretched out its wings, as if it was bowing to me.

"κανένας φόβος. Μόνο εγώ". No fear, Your Highness. It is only me.

The voice said again in a thick Greek accent as my eyes never left the legendary creature before me.

My eyebrows furrowed as I stepped forward, reaching out a hand towards the creature as my fingers shook in fear.

"εσύ είσαι? Σε εμένα μιλάς?". Is it you? Are you talking to me?

I was only answered with a deep grumble from the giant ancient beast as my hand rested against its head, gently rubbing its scales.

I then soon realised, I'm still alive. I can still feel the pain of swallowing too much salt water in my throat. Yup, I'm pretty much alive.

I soon recalled a pair of burning eyes and a loud thundering roar I heard before I passed out in the rough waves.

She saved me. Yes, it's a she.

Thank you.

I said in my thoughts as I looked into the creature's golden eyes, showing a grateful smile at her as I gently pressed my forehead against her snout.

She probably understood me as she slightly nudged me, making me back up a little before I chuckled in delight.

———————————————————————