Warmth

The drive back to the mansion was silent, even Midoriya didn't speak because he knew how I was feeling right now. In all honesty, I couldn't believe myself.. I knew I was going to face consequences with this job, but I never thought It would have come to a child being harmed. Shiozaki was still fast asleep in the backseat, unaware of what was even going on.

I gripped the steering wheel tight, pressing my foot down even further on the pedal, letting my emotions flow through my hands and feet. The low hum of the engine grew louder and louder, but my thoughts were a shield to the outside world. All I could hear were voices of disappointment, voices of regret. Was I really becoming a monster? Hurting children... just like him.

"You're useless Shoto. You are now and you always will be."

Punch.

"You're just like your mother, selfish!"

Slap.

"You will never be good enough to be called my son."

Kick.

"I hate you."

Darkness.

Tears began to fill my eyes, threatening to fall any second. My hands were even tighter on the steering wheel, the dashboard reading 250. 260, 270. Higher and higher with every tear. Increasing with every regret. My vision became slightly blurred, the only thing I could detect was my thoughts. Half of the steering wheel began to freeze over, the other side heating up.

"It's your fault Shoto."

I gritted my teeth.

"You're just like your father!"

I clenched my fist.

"A monster."

I screamed.

"TODOROKI!! YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN!!"

"Todo please! You're going to kill yourself at this rate of speed!"

I opened my eyes wider than before, becoming more aware of my surroundings. I heard someone yell stop over and over again. That someone was Midoriya. I lifted my foot from the pedal, loosening my grip from the steering wheel, looking around at where I was.

"M- midoriya?"

"Yes Todoroki, I'm right here."

~~~ Skip to the mansion~~~

I carried Shiozaki around the back, following Midoriya's orders. I saw a familiar blond and redhead standing at the back entrance, waiting for me. Once I reached the door, Bakugo motioned for me to hand her over. It was almost as if she was a doll, being tossed around like useless plastic. I gently placed the fragile girl into his arms, the warmth of her body leaving my arms. Bakugo walked inside, leaving me and Kirishima alone at the door.

"How was the first mission man?" Kirishima asked with his toothy smile.

"Great." I said with a tired expression.

"You seem tired, you can go upstairs. We'll handle her from here."

I nodded my head and proceeded to walk inside, through the house and up the stairs. I felt like shit, inside and out. I twisted the cold, silver knob and welcomed myself into my familiar room. I decided to take a shower before laying down for bed. I laid my weapons down, trotted into the bathroom and turned the water on. The room began to fill with steam, I stepped into the hot waterfall. As I was washing my body, the look on the little girl's face kept replaying in my mind. She was so... Scared. Knowing it was me who frightened her like that was even worse.

After my shower, I walked into my room and slipped on some underwear and sweatpants. My split hair was dripping from my shower, covering part of my face. I just crawled into bed, not wanting to speak to anyone. But just my luck, there was a knock at the door followed by a few words.

"May I come in?"

I didn't respond with words, instead I just let out a low 'mhm'. The door opened and I turned to see the green haired male I was all too familiar with. He was the last person I wanted to speak to right now. Great.

"Look, what happened earlier was-"

"Just stop. Please. I don't even want to think about earlier."

"I know you don't, but you can't just ignore what happened."

"And who are you to tell me that! You weren't the one who shot a little girl!"

"I know how you feel, Todo. I was in your place once."

"Yeah sure. You definitely had an abusive father growing up that beat you every day. He's the reason I feel like such shit over what I did, because it made me feel like him!"

"Well I may have not had an abusive father, but I had a mother who wasn't much better."

I turned to look at him, and he sat close to me on my bed. Our eyes met and he continued to share his childhood story.

"You see, my father left me and my mother when I was only 3. He walked right out of that door no matter how much my mother begged him to stay. And from that day on, my mother began blaming me for him leaving. Every single day she beat me, I always had another bruise to cover up. I had to steal her makeup and wear it to school to cover my bruises, the other kids made fun of me and called me a girl for wearing makeup, although they didn't know the real reason why. In middle school, I would always come up with excuses not to come home. I would lie about school projects, or studying. But every night when I finally did come home, I was beaten and screamed at. Eventually I started believing her, I told myself that it was my fault he left. At one point, I even compensated suicide, and that was the biggest mistake of them all. One night, my mother caught me in the bathroom cutting myself, she beat me worse than ever before. The next morning for school, the makeup wasn't even enough to cover it. So I stayed home and spent the rest of the day packing. After my mother went to sleep, I left. I knew my mother wouldn't come looking for me because she didn't want me anyways. I went weeks on the streets, saving every bit of food I had left. Well until this one day, I met this mysterious man in an alleyway. His name was All For One. He offered me a life I could only dream of, but at the cost of my life. Once I accepted his offer, there was no backing down, no changing my mind. This was my life now, and forever. Along with this life, he gave me a quirk."

"A quirk...?"

"Yes. You see Todoroki, I was born quirkless. I was one of those unlucky kids in the world who got picked on for not having any unique, special quality. All For One and I, we ruled the mafia. That is, until he went down in a gunfight. After his death, I took over. So now here I am."

"I'm so sorry... I had no idea."

"Don't worry about it, you had no way of knowing."

I looked into his sad eyes and got a small burst of confidence. I reached out, and wrapped my arms around him.

His body was warm, and so comforting. It was like his warmth was what I was missing. He seemed shocked at first, as if he's never been hugged before. After being hesitant, he finally hugged me back. I put my head in the crook of his neck and we stayed like that for some time. Once we both pulled away, our faces were inches apart. It was as if there was electricity that just kept pulling us closer and closer. And before I knew it, his soft lips were on mine.