THE HYBRID

Nat opened her eyes slowly and noticed it was already bright outside. She groaned and covered her face, trying to get back to sleep but her door opened and she felt someone pulling her covers off. When she took her arm off her face she saw Elena already dressed for the day.

"C'mon." Elena said. "We're leaving."

"Lena." She mumbled sleepily. "Where do you want to go so early?"

"We're going to see Damon." Nat frowned and looked at her questioningly. "Andie died yesterday." She said quietly. At that, Nat sat up quickly and looked at her sister in surprise.

"Why didn't he..." Nat trailed off and Elena shrugged. She closed her eyes and sighed. "Fine, just give me a few to get dressed." She muttered and her sister nodded, walking out of the room and closing the door behind her. Nat stood up and went to her wardrobe. She picked out a pair of olive green denim shorts, a white shirt and white converse. She quickly changed and went to the bathroom to brush her teeth. She put her hair in a ponytail and grabbed her phone and keys before heading out. She went downstairs and found Elena already waiting by the door. Nat walked over and opened the front door, Elena and her going out.

They drove quickly to the Boarding House and when they arrived, they entered, going to Damon's room immediately. When they got there, they found him removing all the notes, maps and newspaper cuttings from his closet door and the TV on.

"Whether suicide, or a tragic accident, WPKW News has lost one of its shining stars. Field reporter and weekend anchor Andie Star was discovered..." The woman on the news kept talking while they walked towards Damon.

"Just can't stay away, can you?" He asks Elena.

"You've been dodging my calls." She told him while Nat leaned on the wall.

"Yeah, well, busy dating a dead fake girlfriend and all." He retorted and nodded to Nat.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Elena asked gently.

"Happy birthday, Elena. Stefan killed Andie. Cake?" At that, Nat opened her mouth in surprise. She didn't know Stefan had done it.

"He called me, Damon." He and Nat turned around at Elena's words, clearly surprised by this bit of information.

"What?" She asked her sister.

"Stefan called me last night." Elena repeated louder.

"Well, what'd he say?" Damon asked her.

"He didn't say anything, but it was him. I asked Sheriff Forbes if she would trace the call's origin. It came from Tennessee." She explained.

"Where he's binge drinking on the country folk. We went through this, Elena. Stefan's gone, and I don't mean geographically." He says before he throws all the documents into the unlit fireplace.

"If he was gone, he wouldn't have called." She states. Damon just stares at her before turning back to the fireplace. Elena sighs and turns around, walking out of the door. Nat looks at Damon who has now lit a match and thrown it into the fireplace, before following Elena. After they walk out of the house, both girls get in the car and drive away.

"You didn't tell me Stefan called you." Nat said absentmindedly.

"He called late last night." She said. "I know he's still in there, Nat. I won't give up on him."

"I know you won't." Nat turned to her. "You love him, you would never leave him behind. Believe it or not I... I understand that perfectly fine." She said shyly.

"Because of Klaus and Elijah?" Elena asked. Nat stared at her and nodded slowly. "You've never told me much about you and them."

"We were in love once." Nat shrugged. "But they're gone now."