AFTER SCHOOL SPECIAL

"Carol Lockwood always said that togetherness in times of tragedy leads to healing, that one community is stronger than a thousand of its members." Sheriff Forbes' voice came through the speakers as students lit candles in glass cups as part of the memorial service. It had been a month since Carol's tragic death, and everyone was back at school, remembering and honoring the former Mayor. Nat had kept the fact that she knew it had been Klaus a secret. The last thing she needed was everyone berating her for that. "But how does a community stay strong after losing its leader? And Carol was so much more than a leader; she was an open-minded friend and a concerned mother, taken from us too soon by a terrible accident."

Nat furrowed her brows at the Sheriff's words, knowing that the Mayor's death was no accident. Klaus had been angry and vengeful, and sadly, Carol paid the price. Nat had to admit that she did feel bad for Tyler, what with him losing both parents and his hybrid friends. Suddenly, Nat, Elena and Bonnie noticed Tyler standing up and leaving the gym, clearly upset about the whole thing.

"Please, join me in observing a minute of silence in her memory." Everyone put their heads down for a minute, silence reigning in the gym for a moment. Nat glanced at Elena from the corner of her eye and saw her looking at the other side of the gym.

"Are you okay?" Bonnie asked her, clearly noticing the same thing Nat had. Elena looked at both of them and nodded quickly.

"Be right back." She whispered and left the gym. Nat and Bonnie exchanged glances and turned back to the Sheriff.

"Thank you so much." Sheriff Forbes said and everyone looked up at her. "In the wake of this tragedy, the town has selected an interim mayor. Many of you may already know him. Please welcome Mr. Rudy Hopkins." Nat turned to Bonnie and saw her awkward face when her eyes landed on her father. She turned to Nat and gave her a small smile.

"Thank you so much, Sheriff. Carol Lockwood put this town first. That's why I'm here to talk to you guys. You folks are the future of Mystic Falls..." He kept talking and Nat scooted closer to Bonnie.

"Hey, are you okay?" She whispered and Bonnie glanced at her. "I mean, your dad taking the post. I know you two haven't had the best relationship."

"It's weird and I don't know what his plans are for the..." She looked around and leaned forward. "The supernatural community of this town." She whispered and Nat nodded slowly, understanding her point exactly.

"Let's just hope he doesn't plan on exterminating us." Nat mumbled sarcastically and Bonnie stifled a laugh. They shared amused grins before turning back to the new Mayor.

"To the Seniors, I hope you have a great rest of the year. And to the rest of the school, good luck on these next months. Good day everyone!" Rudy said through the microphone and everyone stood up, walking slowly out of the gym.

"Huh, Elena didn't return." Nat noticed and Bonnie looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

"Want me to wait with you?" She asked and Nat shook her head with a smile.

"No, you go ahead. I know you're meeting your dad." Nat assured her and Bonnie sighed before smiling at her.

"Wish me luck." She smiled at her and waved, her friend striding past the crowd and out of the gym. Nat waited until the crowd had dispersed and when there were few people there, she started walking out of the gym. Suddenly, someone tapped her on the shoulder. When she turned around, she found Sheriff Forbes looking at her. "Sheriff, hi."

"Hi, Nat." She smiled softly and looked around before taking a step forward. "This is gonna be an awkward question and I wanna apologize beforehand. I only ask because I know how... close you and the Originals are." Nat licked her lips and looked down.