THE MURDER OF ONE

Nat and Elena were walking up the stairs of Alaric's building with breakfast for him. He had gone to his apartment with Damon while they stayed at home alone until the whole alter ego thing blew over. With Bonnie's herbs, he would hopefully be okay in a short time. Nat knocked on the door and Damon answered it immediately.

"Morning, sunshine." He told Nat and she just stared at him.

"Hey, how's Alaric?" Elena asked him as she moved to enter the apartment, but Damon closed the door slightly so he was blocking their way. Nat's brows knitted in confusion and she tried to look inside the apartment, but the vampire blocked her view.

"Indecent, but fine." He replied.

"So then, does that mean there were no issues last night?" Nat asked suspiciously and he shook his head to the side.

"Nope. Slept like a baby, woke up Alaric. No headlines about dead Council members." He told them jokingly and Nat crossed her arms.

"Then why do I feel like you're hiding something from us?" Elena asked suspiciously now too.

"Well, maybe because you're being all paranoid and control freaky." He retorted before taking the bag from her hand. "What'd you bring me?" He opened the paper bag and sniffed it, smiling at them cheekily. "Ooh, chocolate muffins. You know what they say, the way to a psycho killer's heart is through his stomach." Nat snatched the bag from him and directed a glare at him.

"They're not for you." Elena snapped.

"Fine. Keep convincing yourself you're still mad at me. But sadly, Ric's gonna have to miss Elena and Nat time today. You know, lockdown and all." He shrugged. Nat sighed and handed the bag over to him again.

"Just take it and give it to him. And tell him that we miss him, okay?" He took the bag and nodded.

"With pleasure."

"Please." Elena pleaded and he started to shut the door on them.

"Have a great day, thanks for coming by."

"Dam-" Elena was cut off by Damon closing the door and she sighed, turning to Nat.

"Let's just go." She muttered and walked down the stairs and towards the front door. She opened it and stepped outside, Elena right behind her. They got in the car and drove to the house.

"So, how's your whole deal with magic going?" Elena asked as she parked the car outside their house.

"It's good. I mean, I was able to do a spell the other day with Kol and Nik's help." She told her as they entered the house.

"How does that work exactly?" Elena asked her curiously. "Your magic, I mean."

"Well, I don't have magic of my own. I can only draw power from other supernatural beings."

"So you could draw from me?" Her sister asked. "I'm a doppelgänger."

"I can't actually. I asked Kol that exact question and he said that doppelgängers don't have magic in them." She shrugged and Elena nodded understandingly. Suddenly, Nat's phone started ringing and she took it out of her pocket. When she looked at the caller, her heart skipped a beat. "I, uh... I need to take this." She muttered as she went to her room quickly. Once she closed the door she answered the call.

"Elijah."

"Hello." He greeted her and Nat bit her lip. "I just wanted to see how you were doing." He told her quietly and she flopped down on her bed.

"I'm, uh, great actually." She said awkwardly.

"Good." He paused. "Good. I shall leave you to-"