ORDINARY PEOPLE

"So the Lockwoods really have no idea that these tunnels are underneath their property?" Elena asked Alaric as they walked through the tunnel in the old cellar. Nat and Ric were gonna show Elena what they had found a few days ago and take some pictures to try to decipher the drawings and what they had to do with the Originals.

"Careful where you shine that thing. Bats hate the light." Ric warned her as they walked further.

"Wait, what?" She stopped and looked at him confused.

"Elena!" Someone whispered and she turned around. "Boo!" Damon yelled and Elena jumped back.

"Ah!" She gasped and Nat laughed at his antics. "God, Damon." Elena muttered and he smirked.

"Scaredy-cat." He said and they started walking again.

"Just ignore him. That's what we do." Nat told her, pointing to herself and Ric.

"So, you really can't get in?" Elena asked the vampire curiously.

"No. Seems even the ancient Lockwoods were anti-vampire."

"What do you mean ancient?"

"See for yourself." They walked a bit further and arrived at the cave, entering quickly. "Well, this is as far as I get to go." Elena enters the cave and shines the flashlight on the walls with the drawings, surprise taking over her features.

"What is all this?" She asks looking now at Ric.

"Well, as far as I can tell, it's a story. In simple, archaeological terms, it's a really, really old story." Nat nodded at that and Ric pointed his flashlight at the wall. "That right there, is the moon cycle. A man, a wolf." He said as he pointed at the different drawings.

"A werewolf." Elena realized.

"Yeah, it's the Lockwood Diaries: Pictionary-Style." Damon quipped from outside.

"I don't understand. I thought the Lockwoods came here with the Original Founders in the 1860s." Elena said, a frown on her face.

"I don't know. Maybe the Lockwoods did, but according to this wall, there werewolves have been here a lot longer than that." Ric shrugged and Elena presses on.

"How long?" She asks.

"Long." Damon confirms. "It gets better. Show her, Nat." He says and Elena turns to her. She shines the flashlight on the other wall and turns to Elena.

"Names. They're not native. They're written in Runic, a Viking script." She explains and Elena furrows her brows.

"Vikings?"

"This name here, it reads Niklaus." Nat tells her and Elena's eyes widen.

"Klaus." She realized and Nat nodded before pointing to the next name.

"Elijah." She then points to the other name. "And Rebekah."

"These are the names of the Original Family?" Elena asks shocked and Nat nods.

"Carved into a cave that's been here since way before the founding of Mystic Falls. Or even the entire New World, for that matter." Ric says, still processing the fact that the Originals seemed to have lived in Mystic Falls.

"Okay, this has gotta be one of Klaus' fakes." Elena shook her head, hesitant to believe this.

"That's what I said." Damon said out loud.

"That could be true, except the last name up here made us think otherwise." Ric told her sister and pointed at the man's name.

"What's the name?" She asked puzzled and Ric turned to Nat.