DO NOT GO GENTLE

"So, Alaric is trying to pull himself together, why is that a bad thing?" Caroline asked Elena and Nat as they walked through the gym, which was being decorated for the 20s Decade Dance. Rebekah hadn't showed up yet, which worried Nat a bit, but knowing her friend, she was probably choosing what she would wear for tonight.

"I just... I wish there was something we could do." Elena said sadly as they got to a table and she picked up a chandelier. "Where do you want me to hang this thing?" She asked the blonde.

"You know what, if Rebekah wanted to hang this monstrosity, she should have shown up to do it herself." She grumbled before handing the chandelier to a student passing through. "Just no!" She turned to Matt and Jeremy hanging up the stairs in the ceiling and frowned. "What are you doing? You can't just hang them! They're supposed to trickle down." They exchanged glances and rolled their eyes.

"Trickle, duh!" Matt teased Jeremy and Nat and Elena smiled at them.

"Look at them, all bromancy." Caroline noted with an amused smile.

"Yeah, we asked Matt to help Jeremy readjust." Nat told her as she looked at her brother.

"He got him his old job back at the Grill." Elena added and Nat turned to the vampire, seeing her surprised look.

"That was nice of him."

"Jeremy has got a lot on his mind. The whole thing with Alaric has got him really stressed out." Elena explained as she looked through the decorations with Nat.

"You sure it has nothing to do with witnessing you and Damon getting hot and heavy in a skeevy motel?" Nat snorted at Caroline's teasing and Elena hit her lightly in the shoulder.

"I didn't tell you that so you could torture me with it."

"Aww, what are friends for?" Elena smiled at Caroline and shook her head. "So, who are you bringing to the dance?" She asked as her sister wrapped a feather boa around her neck.

"What do you mean? Nat's going with Rebekah, so I thought you, Bonnie and I were going as girl dates." Elena said confused.

"Hm, Bonnie has a date."

"What?" Nat asked, confused now too.

"Jamie called and wanted to see her, so she asked him." Caroline told them and they nodded.

"Hm."

"So, here's a thought, why don't you ask Stefan?" At the mention of the younger Salvatore, Nat stiffened. Things between them had been awkward since the incident at the Boarding House. She couldn't bring herself to talk to him, feeling awful about almost killing him.

"I can't ask him on a date, I just made out with his brother."

"All the more reason!" Caroline exclaimed. "Look, you're supposed to be figuring out what you want. That's what Stefan wanted you to do, right?"

"You could just forget about Damon and Stefan and be single for now." Nat suggested and Caroline glared playfully at her.

"Yeah, but-"

"But nothing! I've watched The Bachelor, okay? Fair is fair. It is Stefan's turn." Caroline shrugged and Nat narrowed her eyes at her.

"Yeah, and you're not biased or anything." She said sarcastically.

"I'm sorry, but Stefan is your epic love." Caroline told Elena. "And I'm not going down without a fight." She said stubbornly, making Nat shake her head.

"I'll leave you to figure out what you want to do." She told both girls. "I'll go make a call." They nodded and she walked away, stepping outside the gym. She got her phone out and called Rebekah, but she didn't answer. "Hey, Bekah, it's me. I just wanted to tell you that I'm gonna be ready at seven, so you can pick me up by then." She left the message and hung up.